Arc 5 Chapter 3 - Scalpers

It was late in the afternoon when I received a message from Manabu. We hadn't spoken since our meeting two days ago, so I was surprised to see he was communicating with me. I had assumed that we had exhausted all topics of conversation, but it turned out to be nothing of the sort.

Putting down my book, I unlocked my phone only to find a warning from him. Why he had bothered to tell me I wasn't sure, but this was the last time he would ever tell me secrets ahead of time. I would have to make this opportunity count.

Apparently, the water system to the dormitory would be shut off from 6pm tonight, due to planned maintenance at the water department. There was no strict schedule, but the repair work was estimated to not be finished until at least early tomorrow morning. Until then, students would have to suffice off of vending machines and free water handed out at the cafeteria.

The convenience stores were unavailable, as was Keyaki mall. It seemed almost the entire school would be shut down during this incident. It would be a tough night for the school to get through, and there would likely be some students going without water until tomorrow.

What was his purpose in telling me this? I was surprised the school hadn't given everyone a heads up, but that would probably happen when the water was actually shut off. They probably wanted to avoid a panic, and make sure they had supplies organised to get through this. But why was I told?

Was it a test? Perhaps. It was possible Manabu was trying to see what I would do with insider information, and how I would help the school. I shrugged. In the end it didn't matter. He would think what he did, and I would do what I do. His opinion of me mattered very little. He might be the Student Council President, but in the end, he was still a third year who had to carefully toe the line. For all intents and purposes, I was almost completely beyond his reach.

I realised I had spent far too long pondering the consequences of this plan. What would happen would happen, and the benefits far outweighed the consequences. At worst, I would lose whatever I gained, but even that seemed unlikely.

This was a situation I couldn't squander, as it would probably never come around again. A little over 400 students wouldn't have access to water for the next 12 hours. There was only one person to call, only one person who would be insane enough to help out.

I picked up my phone once again and called Kiryuuin Fuuka.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"It's been far too long, kouhai-kun. Don't tell me you forgot about Fuuka-chan?"

I found my potential partner in crime lounging on a bench outside the second-year dorms, terrifying grin plastered on her face as usual.

"Hardly. I've simply been busy with exams."

"Oh yes, so I've heard." She leaned forward, a dangerous glint in her eyes. "So, tell me, how did you do it? The miracle of Class 1-D is all anyone is talking about."

"The miracle, huh?" It seemed the rumours had gone beyond what Manabu hinted at. While the results were known, only a few students in the first years would have known enough details to fully explain, and most of them weren't likely to interact with upperclassmen for gossip. I suppose in that sense, it would seem like a miraculous victory.

"Despite overwhelming odds, the belief of even the universe against them, Class 1-D rose up and did the impossible, crushing every single class before them with ease!" Kiryuuin acted out our story with dramatic flair most would only dream to possess. It wasn't far from the truth surprisingly, even though the story seemed embellished for drama. The allure of a school story like this, a mystery to be proud of was something not many would ignore. Every school had their own culture and proud rumours, but so far this school was still too young to have that. My class had finally provided such a legacy.