Arc 5 Chapter 5 - Definitely Not a Date Part 2

We walked out the door of the restaurant, only to find a massive storm had been brewing while we were here. The walls of the place were surprisingly thick, and somehow neither of us had noticed the lightning, heavy winds or rain smashing against the window.

There was a small amount of shelter under an overhang outside the restaurant, and that was where we were huddled, trying to avoid the rain and wind, only mostly successfully.

"Kiyotaka! What's going on, where's the taxi!"

I looked down at my phone, only to find they'd suspended their services due to the weather. That explained the nervous look the driver had given me.

"Apparently they're not available in the storm."

"What do you mean they're not available?! How did you let this happen?!"

"Well, I didn't realise they wouldn't run in bad weather."

"Why the hell wouldn't you check that!"

"How was I supposed to know there was going to be a storm?" Seriously, what was she on about?

In response to my denial of guilt, Kikyou stared up at me with an incredulous face, before reaching up and grabbing me by my collar.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?! How did you not know there was going to be a storm?!"

Eh?

"The school sent everyone a fucking warning! Literally EVERYONE KNEW THERE WAS GOING TO BE A FUCKING STORM!"

Oh. If that was the case, I could see why she was upset.

"Why didn't you tell me then?"

"I figured you already knew like literally everyone else you dumbass!"

"I didn't see it?"

"AAAAAAAAA!!!!"

Kikyou screamed at me, before turning around to try and recompose herself.

This certainly was quite a predicament.

"I guess we can't get a taxi back then." I opened the weather app on my phone, something I didn't think I'd need to check for going to dinner, only to see it was forecast to storm until early in the morning. "And staying here isn't really an option."

"So then, Mr I'm-a-genius-who-can't-check-the-weather, what do you think we do?"

I looked around, considering our options. There was no way the school would send someone to get us in this weather. We could stay in the restaurant, but I would rather get home tonight and get to bed. I suppose walking was out of the question. I could make it easily enough, but I doubted Kikyou would want to follow, even if I offered to carry her the entire way.

There weren't a lot of choices really. The storm was getting progressively worse, with the wind reaching incredible speeds. It was starting to take a bit of effort to stay upright, even sheltered as we were. And I had seen lightning strikes in a couple of places possibly on the school grounds by now.

I continued to look around casually, with no panic in my movements, which seemed to be infuriating Kikyou even further. I could tell she was about to start yelling again when...

Oh. That could work.

"Take off your shoes."

"Excuse me?"

"We're going for a walk."

"I'm not taking off my shoes. My stockings will get ruined."

"Would you rather walk in heels or stockings."