Arc 4 Chapter 12.5.2 - SS Amikura 1

Ah, poor Kanzaki. You had your moment. Time to step aside.

When the year began, I was so excited to go to this school. The school for the leaders of the future. 100% employment rate. Everything was perfect. And then, it only got better.

Ayanokouji cracked the system on the first day. I don't know how he did it, and I know that no one was close to figuring it out as fast as he did.

Then this school stopped being a means to an end. It became fun.

To compete with other classes, to clash and fight for the top spot. It was exciting. I was excited. I had a good class, in Class B. We had good leaders, with Kanzaki and Ichinose leading us. Ryuuen tried to mess with us, but we brushed off even that.

And then the Island happened.

We won, but at a great cost.

To be fair, I hadn't liked the decision to let Kaneda stay. It was clearly suspicious, and Kanzaki thought the same, but Ichinose was too kind. She didn't trust him, that was obvious in her efforts to keep him away from the card reader, but just letting him stay was a mistake.

And most of the class agreed with her, nearly causing our doom.

Except at the end of the day, Kanzaki is at the most fault.

The two of them were co-leaders. And yet, he allowed Ayanokouji to split them, to divide the class. A stupid, simple tactic, and it worked because Kanzaki got distracted with winning, and fed up with Ichinose's kindness, the thing that had united the class in the first place.

I was content taking a back seat. Out of our class I knew I was one of the more competent students, but up until then, I was confident in our class and our leaders.

I certainly wasn't expecting Kanzaki to fall victim to such an easy bait.

But in the end it worked, and our class split in two. Those who supported Ichinose and those who supported Kanzaki.

All of them were idiots.

Neither Ichinose nor Kanzaki were right. They had both made mistakes. Ichinose was too trusting. She couldn't be a leader. She was smart, and could unite our class easily, but I didn't think she could make the tough decisions, do the things that needed to be done.

Kanzaki could, but in the opposite sense he didn't understand people well enough. I think he admired Class C a little, simply because of how efficient it was. He was smart, and he could lead us to victory, but he wanted to be followed and obeyed. His inability to work with people was displayed when Ayanokouji put it to the test.

The first thing he should have done was go to Ichinose. Work together. But instead, his pride took a hit, as it was insinuated that because he worked with Ichinose, her failings were his, and so he stood alone. Kanzaki couldn't unite the class.

In the end there was no option. I guess I get to play in the end after all.

I'm not as smart as Kanzaki, I know that. I'm not even close to Ayanokouji, Sakayanagi, Katsuragi and the other leaders. But I was different. Unpredictable. I was lovable, and could have the class back me up, and still do weird, different things. That creativity was something no one else in our class had. I had to be the X-factor for us because there was no one else who could.

There began my partnership. Not with Ichinose, but with my secret conspirator.

Himeno Yuki.

Out of everyone in the class, she was the person I felt matched my sentiments the most. She hid them well, but it was clear as day to someone who thought the same way that she wasn't satisfied. Even winning 180 points, the damage caused to our class with bad leadership wasn't good enough.