chapter 2: First Day of Summer

Bart didn't want to admit it, but Meg had grown on him. He also felt funny around her, a very weird funny feeling. He thought she was pretty and didn't understand why in her hometown that everyone found her ugly. He didn't want to admit this though. 

"Megan, you sure you want to go to summer camp like Bart and Lisa?" Marge asked the girl. "I mean, you just got here all the way from Rhode Island."

"I know, Mrs. Simpson, but I've never been to camp before, besides, if I didn't go, I'd just be with you, Maggie, and Mr. Simpson for six weeks until Bart and Lisa come back." Meg insisted she would be fine with going. 

"Okay, dear," Marge smiled, patting Meg on the head. "I hope you enjoy it."

"I'm sure I will." Meg smiled back.

"You haven't been, huh?" Marge sat on the cot beside Lisa's bed. 

"Nope," Meg helped herself, sitting next to the blue-haired woman. "Dad always said no one would like spending that much time with me in a closed space and would rather be dead..."

"Hey, remember, I told you, no negative talk," Marge told her firmly. "As far as you're concerned now, you're a Simpson, only in Quahog are you a Griffin. I think even Maggie loves you like a sister."

Meg giggled. "Babies are so cute... Until they make a mess..."

Marge stood up. "I'm going to make a nice dinner for everyone. Why don't you go check on Bart and Lisa for me?"

"Okay, Mrs. Simpson," Meg smiled back, then left the room to look for the other kids. 

'What a sweet girl,' Marge thought fondly to herself. 'How on Earth could her own family not appreciate her? She's a darling little dear... So polite, and helpful, yet lonely...'

Meg joined Bart and Lisa with the other students of Springfield Elementary School on the day ready for summer camp. 

"I can't believe I'm really going to summer camp," Meg squealed. "This has to be the best thing to ever happen to me!"

"Well, I'm glad you'll be able to go," Bart smiled at her. "Maybe we can sit together at the campfire for S'Mores."

Meg hugged him. "I'd like that, Bart."

Bart blinked from the hug and blushed slightly.

Marge then hugged and kissed the boy. "Goodbye, my special little guy..." she then shook Meg's hand. "Have a good time..." she finally kissed her older daughter. "Lisa, watch out for Poison Ivy. Remember, 'Leaves of three, let it be'."

"'Leaves of four, eat some more'!" Homer added with a laugh.

Meg rolled her eyes at him, but smiled. "Bye, Mr. and Mrs. Simpson," she waved to her host family, then came to baby Maggie, kissing her on the cheek. "Be good for your mommy and daddy."

Maggie nodded as she sucked on her pacifier. 

"Come on, guys, let's go!" Meg was totally excited as she got on the bus to camp with Bart and Lisa and the other kids of Springfield Elementary School. 

"Goodbye, sweetie!" Marge called.

"Goodbye, Mom and Dad!" Bart and Lisa said once they got a seat with Meg. 

"Bye!" Homer waved with Marge.

"I'll write to you every day!" Lisa promised.

"Don't look in my closet," Bart said. "In fact, stay out of my room all together!"

"If my parents call, tell them I can't come to the phone, I'm too busy having fun!" Meg yelled then.

"If the pets die, don't replace them, I'll know!" Lisa interjected, then with that, the bus started to take them away.

The bus drove off with them.

"This is so exciting," Meg smiled as she nearly shook in her seat. "Catching fish, telling ghost stories, earning new best friends, what could be cooler?"

"Yeah, and Krusty will be there!" Bart grinned.

"Yes, and there'll be nature!" Lisa sprawled her arms.

"Hey, Bart!" a blue-haired boy with a big nose and red glasses looked down at the seat behind him.

"Milhouse!" Bart high-fived him. "Surprised your parents got you to go."

"I think everyone's parents got them to go, even Sherri and Teri are here." Milhouse said.

"Sherri and Teri?" Meg looked to Lisa.

"These twins, you'll meet them sometime..." Lisa sighed, she didn't like the twins like almost everyone else in school.