chapter 11: The Babysitter Twins

Lisa and Meg were in Lisa's bedroom, reading The Babysitter Twins. Meg really enjoyed reading the one on the way to Itchy and Scratchy Land.

"Thanks for letting me read these books, Lisa, they're so cool!" Meg beamed.

"I can't believe you never read or heard of them before," Lisa told her with a smile. "It's hard to get enough of them! I just love everything about the world of babysitting," she hugged the book as she bookmarked the one she was currently reading. "The responsibility, the obligation, the pressure..."

"I never really got to babysit, Mom and Dad say I'm too young," Meg shrugged. "I'm sure you'd make an excellent babysitter though, Lisa."

"You could be one too, Maggie just loves you," Lisa smiled to her pen pal. "Hey, what if we became babysitters?"

"You mean, like the Babysitter Twins?" Meg asked.

"Yeah, only without solving mysteries!" 

"I dunno, Lisa," Meg shrugged as she looked back into her book about the president's baby. "I'm 10 and you're only eight... No offense, but I think eight-years-old might be too young to babysit..."

"At least I'm more responsible than Bart." Lisa shrugged.

"Yeah, that's true..."

"I think I should do it," Lisa closed her book as she stood on her bed. "I'll become a babysitter!"

Meg hummed, then shrugged. "Oh, well, what could go wrong? I'm in."

"Great, we'll tell Reverend Lovejoy so on Sunday, he'll tell everyone about us and we'll become full-ledged babysitters!" Lisa cheered, holding Meg's hands.

"Done and done!" Meg gave an agreeable nod.

After church, Reverend Lovejoy did in fact inform the service Lisa and Meg's babysitting service. The girls sat by the telephone, anxiously waiting for someone to call them and have them look after someone for them. 

Lisa sighed. "Why hasn't anyone called?"

"I guess we're just not good enough..." Meg sighed, staring at the floor in disappointment.

Marge came in to see the girls. "Megan, I told you to never think negatively... Don't think of it as a bad thing, but maybe people don't want eight or 10-year-old babysitters. Parents need to be sure their sitter can handle anything that might happen. That's why they hire teenagers."

"Well when I'm a teenager, I'm gonna make sure I'm partying every night of my young life!" Meg proclaimed. "Besides, Lisa is very mature for her age, she even taught me some things that I don't even know myself!"

"People do often mistake me for nine." Lisa gave a nod in agreement.

The doorbell rang.

"Here, I'll get it." Meg offered as she went to the front door. "Mr. Flanders?" she recognized her pen pal's next door neighbor anywhere.

"Tell him to shut up, Megan!" Homer called from the distance.

"Um, how can I help you, Mr. Flanders?" Meg asked the neighbor instead of doing what the man of the house suggested.

"Oh, little Megan, I got a Fozzie of a bear of a problem," Ned told her while adjusting his glasses. "Maude and her mother were visiting Tyre and Sidon, the twin cities of the Holy Land. They must've kneeled in the wrong place and prayed to the wrong God because, well, they're being held prisoner by militants of some sort."