chapter 21: New Life in Alaska

The family got settled at a motel and they were trying to get settled. Marge taught them a secret knock while Homer was out and Marge was getting groceries.

"Okay, Maggie Waggie, time for beddy bye." Meg told the baby sweetly as she would have to sleep in a drawer, but she got a pillow and blanket for her.

Maggie smiled slightly, reaching up to touch the girl's face. Meg smiled, gently rocking her to sleep.

"Wow, Meg, you're really good with Maggie," Lisa smiled. "You ever think about being a mother when you grow up?"

"Eh, I dunno, who'd wanna marry me?" Meg shrugged as she smiled, playing with Maggie to help the baby sleep.

"Really, you don't know?" Lisa rolled her eyes with a smile. "He's liked ya ever since you came into our lives..." she gestured to Bart.

Bart was looking up, then glanced to the girls and they looked away from him, making him stare at the floor and blush.

"So, Bart really does like me, huh?" Meg asked.

"Yes... He does," Lisa nodded. "I'm not saying you should like him back if you don't want to, but I think you should give him a chance... I really think he loves you... Just loves you..."

Meg blushed at that thought. For once, someone had a crush on her. 

"Where's your father?" Marge asked the kids.

"He went out," Lisa rolled her eyes, then looked desperate. "Let's quickly rebuild our lives while he's gone!"

"Hey, guys?" Homer's voice was heard from behind the door. "What's the secret knock again?"

Meg groaned, then went to the door to let him in and looked angry with him like everyone else. Even Meg woke up, looking peeved at him, folding her tiny arms. 

"Look, I know I screwed up. This is big..." Homer said softly.

"It's huge, we're homeless!" Marge shrieked. "Our friends wanna kill us and we turned an innocent girl into a fugitive! Before we can even stay in the same room with you, I need to know what was going through your mind when you didn't listen to me and dumped that silo in the lake."

Homer blinked and then gave a shrug.

"HOMER!" Marge snapped.

"I don't know what to tell you, Marge," Homer spoke then. "I don't think about things. I respect people who do, but I just try to make the days not hurt until I get to crawl in next to you again..."

"Oh..." Marge smiled, feeling romanticized, then got rough once all eyes were on her. "I mean 'oh'..."

"It's true what they say..." Meg sighed as she sat down, crossing her legs. "You can never go home again..."

"Want a swig?" Bart offered a beer bottle.

Meg shrugged to him. 

"Megan, I'm sorry for ruining your first summer away from home, I'm really sorry, everyone, but I'm more than just sorry, I'm prepared with a solution," Homer talked again. "I've always been afraid I'd screw up our lives so badly we'd need a back-up plan. And that plan is right here!" he then reached into his wallet, murmuring and took out a several times folded paper. It was revealed to be a poster of a certain state as he smiled to everyone, hoping it would be a good plan.

"Alaska?" Lisa and Meg asked.

"Alaska," Homer smiled to everyone. "A place where you can't be too fat or too drunk. Where no one says things like: 'Let's see your high school equivalency certificate'."