chapter 9: Road Trip

The Simpson family got ready in the morning. They were all packed to go, except for Santa's Little Helper and Snowball II. They were going to stay at the house with Homer's father. Meg played with Maggie, keeping her busy until Marge would start the car. She kept making funny faces without her glasses and stuck out her tongue a lot which made the baby giggle to her and clap.

"Wow, Meg, I think Maggie really likes you." Lisa smiled.

"Yeah, I always wanted a sister," Meg smiled as she let Maggie grip onto her finger gently. "Instead I got a little brother..."

"I wish I could've had a brother." Bart spoke up.

"Too bad we can't switch." Meg laughed a little.

Homer then drove the car away from their little home. "This is gonna be the best family vacation ever or we'll all agree to disband, join other families, and if Meg's parents ask, we couldn't find her body."

"Agreed." the Simpson family replied, but Meg had a puzzled look on her face.

Homer drove them out of the neighborhood and were now on their way to the interstate. Meg noticed how the state she was in away from Rhode Island wasn't really explanatory. However, there was a huge traffic jam holding them all up. Traffic took a while, but soon, they were out of it and free from it. Bart and Lisa looked hungry as they saw a nice diner called Flickey's. It made them very hungry and they kept getting closer with the hundreds going down.

"Mr. Simpson, can we go to Flickey's?" Meg asked for her starving friends.

"No." Homer said as they drove past it.

Meg, Bart, and Lisa groaned once they passed that diner and the next one was another 300 miles away. 

"At least you tried..." Lisa soothed her friend.

"Yeah, I guess..." Meg murmured. 

"Here, Meg, why don't you read one of my favorite books?" Lisa handed over a copy. "My friend Janey and I read them all the time."

"Hm?" Meg took a look at the book, reading the title. "The Babysitter Twins?"

"I really recommend them..." Lisa smiled.

Meg smiled back, she decided to read the book to occupy herself during the road trip. 

The trip was lasting a lot longer than anyone anticipated. It was getting late and they still weren't stopping. Meg fell asleep while reading the book. Lisa wanted to take it back, but she smiled to see her pen pal gently asleep and seemed to enjoy the story. 

"Meg, wake up," Bart shook the girl awake. "Wake up!"

"Huh? What?" Meg snorted, then wiped the drool off her face as she looked around. "Bart?"

"We're here," Bart smiled. "Homer showed us a shortcut and it actually worked!"

Meg wiped her face again and smiled. "Yay..." she cheered weakly due to how long the road trip was.

Homer looked to the back seat and smiled. "You all right, Megan?"

"Yeah, I'm fine... Just needed a nap, I guess." Meg smiled with a shrug.

"Well, come along now, we got fun awaiting for you, Bart, and Lisa!" Marge piped up cheerfully.

The kids happily left the car, ready to have some fun in Itchy & Scratchy Land. 

"Okay, we're in Itchy Lot," Meg said to everyone. "You guys think you can remember that?"

"Eh, piece of cake." Bart shrugged with a smirk.

"Come on, kids!" Homer encouraged them as he led the way with Marge to get them into the park and start their fun.