chapter 38: Meg the Flag Girl

After Thanksgiving and Christmas, it was about time to get back to school. Meg was excluded from Thanksgiving, but her grandparents actually did sound concerned and wondered where she was. The Simpson family was glad to see that even though they were highly rich and sophisticated, Lois's parents were very kind and caring with their granddaughter. 

omer and Marge let Meg come to Thanksgiving. Patty and Ling came to visit and Patty announced that she completely gave up on smoking due to the filthy habit taking Selma's life and she was now cremated into an urn. Patty gave the ashes to Meg, despite not being at all related and Meg could spray them anywhere she would want to. 

Even Homer was a little sad that Selma was no longer with them, she never did find the right guy. The Simpsons also explained to Meg that Selma adopted Ling-shortly after receiving news of menopause and she was basically Maggie's best friend, since they were naturally best friends due to the fact that they were cousins, regardless of Ling's adoption.

On the first day back to school, Lisa and Meg decided to attempt to try-out for cheerleading.

"I don't think Connie's gonna let us in, Meg..." Lisa said, she didn't want to crush Meg like that, but knowing Connie, their chances of getting in would very likely be slim. 

"Hey, doesn't hurt to try." Meg shrugged as they walked into the school gym as the cheerleaders were doing their routine with the Queen Bee of the school herself watching over and judging the girls.

Connie noticed the two girls coming in. "What do you two want?"

"We're trying out for cheerleading." Meg explained with the most confident smile she could muster.

"Peter Rabbit would be wise to stay out of Mr. McGregor's garden," Connie glanced at them sharply. "Simspon, you MAY have a cute brother, but I wouldn't be caught dead with either one of you on my squad..."

Lisa sighed. "See, Meg?"

"Why don't you try the flag girl's squad?" Connie snorted to them, gesturing to extremely unpopular girls.

One girl had a beard, one girl had a peg-leg, and one girl had a large butt. There was one girl though who looked rather beautiful and normal. 

"Are you trying out for flag girl?" Meg and Lisa came up to the black-haired girl.

"Yeeahhh...." the girl replied, showing she had a longer tongue than a giraffe or Gene Simmons, she rolled it back up like it was bubble gum tape and slid it back into her mouth.

"Well... Being a flag girl would be better than nothing," Meg looked to Lisa with a shrug. "You wanna try it?"

"No, thanks, you go ahead... Good luck." Lisa soothed Meg before going off.

Meg smiled to her, then went to try her luck as a new flag girl for James Woods High. 

After school, instead of going home, Meg went to the Simpsons house. The Griffins weren't very fond of Meg going over there. They believed Bart might be a bad influence, but at least Meg wasn't going out late at night after bed and had any foreign tattoos so far. 

"Hey, everybody, guess what I am?" Meg came to them, very excited.

"Megan, why aren't you at your own house?" Homer asked, not meaning to sound rude. "I mean... Don't you share news with your family?"

"They wouldn't like it anyway," Meg rolled her eyes, but smiled at them. "Anyway... I'm a flag girl!"

"That's awesome!" Bart cheered. "Meg's a flag girl! Isn't that awesome, guys? Meg's a flag girl! I always wanted to know a flag girl!"

Lisa glanced at her brother. "You have no idea what a flag girl is, do you?"

"Not a clue..." Bart looked down in foolish defeat.

"You know those girls who twirl flags around at school?" Meg prompted.

"Oh... Yeah..." Bart smiled, then looked annoyed. "Aw, Meg, why would you do that? Flag girls suck!"

"Bart, don't crush your girlfriend's dreams!" Homer scolded, then smiled. "That's wonderful, Meg... Even though you'll have a horrible reputation and will be remembered at a geeky equivalent of a cheerleader..."

"Uhh, thanks Homer... I think..." Meg shrugged. "Lisa, isn't this great?"

"Well... I like to see you happy..." Lisa shrugged herself with a sweet smile.

Meg hugged Bart and Lisa. "You guys should come to the football games so you can watch me!"

"Hey, I have an idea, why don't we bring your parents along?" Bart asked.

Both Bart and Meg exchanged serious looks, then cracked up laughing together. 

"I know, it sounded stupid as soon as it came out of my mouth!" Bart smiled, still slightly laughing.

"It totally did..." Meg chuckled with him.

Lisa shook her head with a smile. Those two were going to make each other very happy in the future. "When's the next football game, Meg?"

"Tomorrow," Meg replied with a smile. "You guys gonna be there?"

"FOOTBALL!" Homer stood up happily. "Count me in!"

"Homer, we're going for Meg..." Marge reminded him.

"Oh... FOOTBALL AND MEG!" Homer said softly, then cheered again. "Fetch my Duff and seat warmer! The Simpsons are going to James Woods High!"

"You sure your dad's more embarrassing than ours is...?" Bart whispered to Meg.

The next day at school, Meg wore her flag girl uniform. Bart and Lisa were happy for Meg, but this flag girl reputation seemed to be going to her head. She was even talking to Connie and the jocks more than she was Bart and Lisa now, even if Connie and the jocks were still annoyed with Meg. After she talked with them, she walked down the hall and ran into Bart and Lisa.

"Meg, you've really changed..." Bart said.

"What?" Meg blinked, then turned to her friend. "What're you talking about? I haven't changed."

"Yes, you have," Lisa said firmly. "This Flag Girl thing's gone to your head."

"Oh, I get it," Meg looked angry at them. "You're jealous!"

"Jealous!?" Bart and Lisa glanced at her.

"Yeah, cuz I got popular friends and you guys are just Bart and Lisa Simpson!" Meg scoffed. "I thought you would be happy for me, but you're worse than my family!"

"We're not jealous, Meg, you're just getting arrogant!" Lisa hissed.

"Whatever, I'm out of here." Meg scoffed, then stormed off.

"Meg, you still want us to come to the football game tonight?" Bart called out.

"You know what?" Meg looked back to them coldly. "Don't even bother coming." she then stormed off.

Bart and Lisa looked crushed. They were unhappy with Meg's sudden bad behavior. They both just had to wonder if Meg would snap out of it and be their friend again. They knew Connie D'Amico wouldn't just accept Meg like that and even though she still wasn't popular, Meg felt she was in her mind due to being excluded from everything growing up before she met them.