chapter 19: Flanders Camping Adventure

The next day, Ned came rather bright and early to take Meg and Bart out as promised. It was just going to be the three of them. Meg smiled at Ned, feeling that he was like the father she had always dreamed of having. 

"Thanks for inviting us along, Mr. Flanders, we really appreciate it." Meg said once they got into a boat.

"Oh, the pleasure's all mine, Megan," Ned smiled to her as he rowed them to the center to get a good fishing spot, then handed her one of the poles. "You may not be a Simpson, but you seem like a wonderful little gal."

Meg smiled fondly. 

Bart was very bored of fishing. "Are we having fun yet?" he asked, though when he did, his pole jumped a little.

"We are now," Ned smiled at him. "You've got a bite!"

"WHOA, MAMA!" Bart cheered, ready to reel in the fish.

"Reel it in, reel it in!" Meg cheered.

"I'm doin' it, I'm doin' it!" Bart did as told, but unfortunately, it fell into the water before he could reel in the fish, then groaned in disappointment.

"Oh, no, my good pole!" Ned cried.

Bart gagged and made choking noises as he was expecting Ned to do something for his fault. Once he saw Ned wasn't doing anything, he caught his breath and gasped a little. "What? Y-You're not strangling me..."

"What the!?" Ned was surprised at what he said. "Strangling's only good for... Well, it's not really good for anything. The only time you should lay hands on a boy is to give him a good pat on the back." he said.

"Hey, what the hell are you—" Bart growled, then smiled once he got the pat on the back. "Oh... One more time..."

Ned did as he said, making him feel good. "You want one, Megan?"

"Yes, please..." Meg smiled gently.

Ned smiled back, then patted her on the back in return. "Say, what about we take a hike?"

"For real?" Meg asked, sounding astonished.

"Absolutely!" Ned beamed.

A while later, the town was agreeing to clean up the town because of Lisa and the Irish boy who was named Colin. Bart, Meg, and Ned were going on their hike. On the way, Ned pointed out some of nature's gifts. Meg smiled, she was really enjoying this, plus nature seemed more beautiful the way that Ned would describe them. He also wanted to show them something that he found important and a nice part of Springfield.

"Here we are, Megan," Ned pointed to the distance to the girl. "You can see the four states that border Springfield: Ohio, Nevada, Maine and Kentucky."

"Ooh..." Meg looked in interest with a nod.

"And if you look real close, you can see..." Ned was about to show them something new, but then gasped.

"What on Earth!?" Meg gasped, she rubbed her eyes. Her eyes and glasses weren't fooling her though. 

There was a squirrel who had a bunch of eyes. It made her think of what happened at church... Twisted tail, pigs had twisted tails and Homer had the pig he dubbed Spider Pig... This squirrel had a bunch of eyes, maybe a thousand... She was scared now as she felt the end of the world approaching. She then closed her eyes and shook her head when Bart was jabbing the squirrel in the eyes with his stick, then a couple of workers in uniform walked over.

"Hey, jab one more eye and it's a federal crime!" the man sharply told Bart.

The woman trapped the mutated squirrel in a glass case.

"Who are you?" Ned asked.

"Environmental Protection Agency." the woman said sharply before she went with the man in their van.

Meg looked and gasped. "EPA!"

"Are you still talkin' about Grampa's warning in church?" Bart looked back at her.

"Yeah, I think this is very serious," Meg nodded anxiously. "Listen, Mr. Flanders, this was fun and all, but we should get back home."

"Well, okily dokily..." Ned shrugged with a smile, then went to take the kids home. 

"Oh, why do I have a bad feeling about this?" Meg asked as she held her stomach, feeling extremely sick like she had a gut feeling.