Chapter 53

When we arrived, I led Josh into the house through the kitchen door. Gemma froze and looked over at me before her eyes began watering.

"Shit I said I wouldn't cry," she said as my eyes started watering too.

"It's okay Gem. What do you need from us?"

She looked behind me at Josh.

"Wow he grew up alright didn't he?" She said with a chuckle.

"Thought about asking him to come work for Caracara," I said. She laughed a little. She put us to work together cutting up vegetables for the salads. Josh worked in relative silence, not really looking up from what he was doing. But he was staying and that mattered more right now.

"Uh Alex," he said after a while of silence. "Do you think maybe you could take me to see Dad? We had a huge fight when I decided to make a career of the Marines and haven't talked since."

"Yeah we can go the day after tomorrow," I said. He thanked me and went back to work.

A few minutes later, the door opened and I peaked over my shoulder Jax was walking in with Tig and Clay.

"Fucking feds picked Bobby up on Luann," Clay said, looking over at me. He'd been sleeping with my mother since he started doing the books for the studio but we weren't supposed to know about that.

"He wouldn't have done that," I said. "Bobby loved my mom a little more than I think any of us are supposed to know."

"How do you think they picked him up," Clay said.

"I didn't need that mental image Clay," I said. He chuckled a little and went to Gemma as Tig and Jax walked over to where Josh and I were working.

"How're you holding up baby?" Jax asked. Tig offered Josh a beer which he took gratefully and started drinking as we worked.

"I'm okay," I said. Jax wrapped his arms around me from behind as I worked.

"Why are you doing bitch work?" Tig asked.

"Tig that would be my brother Josh," I said.

"So I'm doing this so called bitch work cause it's for my mother's funeral."

"You'll have to forgive Tig. He doesn't have any manners," I said, glaring at him.

"That is not true. The Marines taught them to me. I elect not to use them," he said.

"Sometimes you sound like an ass," I said.

"You were a Marine?" Josh asked. Tig nodded and the two started talking about the service.

Jax kissed my cheek before walking away to talk to his Mom.

Clay walked over and stood next to me. "If you need anything the next couple days, the club is here for ya."

"I know Clay. I appreciate it."

"You're family. Both of ya," he said, looking over at Josh. He had to have remembered Josh leaving. He was pretty high ranking even back then.

"Thank you Sir," Josh said.

"Clay works just fine," he said. "But that was the most respect I've seen in a while."

Tig immediately got defensive again. I laughed a little at him.

I glanced over at Jax and he just smiled at me. I walked over.

"Why don't you go grab Abel?" I asked. "Let Neeta go for the evening."

"Cause I don't like cages."

"But you sure like sex and apparently not using condoms, so get your happy ass in my cage and go get our son," I said.

"Or you could."

"I'm very busy here," I said. He pouted but I kissed his lips and he took my keys.

He headed off to get Abel and I was happy to have the fragments of my remaining family all together again.