Chapter 12

I headed out the back door and walked over to where Jax and Opie were sitting.

"Hey man," I said with a small smile. Opie just nodded. I looked at Jax and he mouthed asking for a few more minutes alone with Opie. I nodded and walked over to the kids who were sitting on the swings just rocking back and forth.

"Hey guys," I said softly. "Want a push?"

They both just kind of looked at me.

"That's cool," I said. "How about I sit here in case you change your mind?"

The two seemed pretty distraught. I was treading carefully, not wanting to make the situation worse.

"Alex?" Ellie asked. I looked up at her.

"Yeah, what's up?" I responded softly.

"I miss Mom," she said. I opened my arms to offer her a hug and she came and sat down in my lap so I hugged her tightly.

"We all do," I said. "But she's still with us. Can't you see how much she loved you and Kenny? You've got her eyes and he's got her hair. She's still here with us, watching you, Kenny, your dad."

"I wish I could see her again and talk to her," she said softly. I looked up as shadows fell over us. Opie moved to push Kenny on the swings and Jax sat down beside me.

"I know, but some day you will see her again. And in the mean time you can still talk to her. I was just a little bit older than you when my grandma died and I still talk to her." I looked up and saw some butterflies painted on the wall across the yard.

"Wanna know a little secret?" I asked. She nodded sadly. "Whenever you see butterflies, whisper I love you to them and they carry the message to those that we've lost."

"Does it work?" She asked. "Does your grandma still know you love her?"

"My grandma and my sister," I said, smiling softly. She nodded and hugged me tightly.

"I'm going to go talk to your dad really quick, okay?" I asked. She nodded and returned to her swing so I went and stood by Opie.

"Thank you," he said softly. I nodded a bit.

"If there's anything I can do for you all, even just watching the kids for a couple hours, let me know," I said. "I left my phone number with Mary in case anything came up."

"Thanks. After how great you just were with her, you might be the go to babysitter from now on."

"Whatever you need Ope," I said. I hugged him tightly for a few seconds before pulling away.

"I think Jax is getting a bit antsy," I said, looking over to where Jax was now standing, staring at me as if to say let's go.

"Yeah I see that," he said with a small chuckle. I smiled at Opie one last time before saying goodbye to Ellie and Kenny and Jax and I left.

"You were really great with her," he said.

"I was her," I said. "My mom was making porn so I was basically raised by my grandma and when I was Ellie's age she died."

"Well, you still did amazing," he said. I smiled softly.

"Thanks," I said. He drove me home probably a little faster than needed.

"You good?" Jax asked as I wiped my eyes.

"Yeah just a lot of emotions today," I said. "There's going to be a lot more tomorrow. I know."

He nodded as he pulled up to my house and parked my car behind my father's truck. Glad to see my mother was still home.

We got out of the car and he headed to leave.

"Hey, be careful," I said as he got on his motorcycle.

"I will," he said. "I'll see ya tomorrow."

I nodded and he took off.