Chapter 25

I tried to move as the bright lights seeped into my eyelids. I could feel the pressure of a warm hand covering mine and there was a low murmur of voices. I tried to move my hand, but nothing. My eyes wouldn't even open.

"I can't lose you darlin'," his gruff voice was right beside my ear. I smiled a little at his voice but the movement was all in my head. I just focused on my life with him. I knew our story wasn't over yet. It couldn't be. We had so much life ahead of us.

I continued to try to move my hand or open my eyes, but nothing was working. Eventually the low murmurs of voices faded completely to just two voices: Jax and Gemma. A third person walked into the room and didn't say a word, making me believe it was probably Clay.

The room grew darker, but Jax's hand remained placed on top of mine. I tried to wake up for him, but the exhaustion of fighting all day took over and my mind fell back asleep.

When I woke up the next morning, I was able to open my eyes, finally, causing Jax to yell for a doctor. I smiled softly at him. He was smiling but there were tears streaming down his face.

"I love you," he said, kissing my forehead as a doctor walked in.

"I love you," I said, trying to make the words audible. My voice was hoarse, I'm sure from being choked out a few days ago.

"Good morning, Miss Delaney," the doctor said. "You took quite the beating, but you're going to make a full recovery. We're all very happy to see that you're awake. Mr. Teller, your friends can come see her but one at a time."

The doctor just glared at Jax before leaving.

"The whole club has been in waiting to see you since they brought you in," he said.

He looked like he wanted to say more but stopped as my mother opened the door.

"Hey mom," I said softly, as she ran over to me.

"How're you doing baby?" She asked.

"Mom, I'm fine really. But can we keep my being attacked between us? Dad's got enough to worry about in there," I said.

She gave me a look and I knew it was too late.

"Look I'm going to see him in a bit and I'll make sure he knows that you're okay," she said.

"Ma," I said. "You better smooth this out. Make sure he doesn't get mad at the club or Jax for not protecting me, okay?"

"I can handle Otto," Jax said cockily.

"Boy you better watch yourself," my mom said. Jax held his hands up in defeat as he chuckled.

"I'm going to go have a smoke. Let the guys know they'll be able to come see you in a few," Jax said. He kissed my forehead before heading out.

"Baby, tell me the truth. Are you sure you're okay?" My mom asked, sitting down with me.

"I'm fine. I'll be back at work before the week is up," I said. She nodded a little and hugged me.

"I don't believe you," she said after a few moments of silence.

"The worst part is the fear that Jax won't want me anymore," I said.

"That won't happen. He loves you. Even stopped fucking around with Croweaters just to get on your good side baby," she said. "Plus, he loves you regardless of your past. That won't change now."

"I know Momma," I said.

It fell silent between us again.

Before too long Jax returned to the room and my mom headed out to go update my father.