Chapter 27

"Babe, I don't know how to thank you for saving my son," he said after a few minutes of silence.

"Don't worry about," I said. "I love that kid too. I couldn't imagine doing anything different."

"Maybe next time protect yourself too," he said. "I know the full extent of what those men did to you. The doctors told me everything. I'm really sorry I wasn't there to protect you."

My eyes started to water and I couldn't stop the tears from streaming.

"Jax," I said softly. "It is not your fault."

"Babe, I should've been home," he said.

"You were handling things. Besides, I'm sure you handled them in full SAMCRO fashion," I said.

"Yeah, they won't be bothering anyone for a long while," he said. I knew what he was saying without the words ever crossing his lips. The men who'd hurt me were dead.

"Babe, you should get some rest. Your body needs it to heal," he said.

"Can you hold me?" I asked. He nodded and helped me move over a little before sitting on the bed with me and holding me as I fell asleep.

The following morning, I woke up to my favorite site. Jax was bouncing Abel as he fed the boy. I smiled a little and watched them for a few more seconds before Jax noticed.

"Good morning darlin'," he said, sitting down in the chair by the bed and moving Abel so the baby was now facing me. Abel had finished his bottle before Jax sat down.

"Good morning babe," I said. My voice sounded significantly better today and I was feeling better overall. Of course that could've just been from seeing Abel was safe and sound with my own eyes.

"How're you feeling today?" Jax asked as Abel started to make some noise.

"Better, much better," I said, smiling at the two boys. Abel reached for me and Jax chuckled at his son a little.

"He's also very happy that you're okay," Jax said.

"As long as he's okay, that's what matters," I said. Jax went to reply but stopped himself as someone knocked on the door. The doctor walking in eased Jax's nerves and he relaxed a little.

"Good morning Miss Delaney," he said.

"Morning," I said softly. One of Jax's hands reached out and wrapped around mine.

"Mr. Teller, I'm glad to see you've found your way out of my patient's bed," the doctor said. Jax chuckled a bit and I realized they must know each other.

"Well ya see doc, she's doing way better now, so must be the ol Teller magic worked again," Jax said.

"Are you really feeling that much better?" The doctor asked, shaking his head a little at Jax.

"I am thank you," I said.

"You should be able to go home tomorrow," the doctor said. I nodded a little and smiled at Jax.

"I'll be around in a few more hours to check on ya, but you really look like you're doing better," he said before leaving.

I smiled a little as Jax celebrated with Abel that I'd be out of here tomorrow. I grabbed the remote for my bed and sat up a bit.

"I can't wait to be able to shower," I said.

"Mm, I bet," Jax said, looking obviously at my hair.

"Babe, can you please get me a brush?" I asked.

Jax chuckled before grabbing one from his bag.

"Got the whole house in there?" I asked as I started to try to brush my hair.

"Hello," Gemma said walking through the door and immediately going to take Abel. I rolled my eyes a little. I totally get that she has been helping Jax raise him, but Abel is Jax's son.

"Here babe," Jax said, taking the brush from my hands and helping me with my hair. Once he'd gotten it brushed he kissed the top of my head.

"Do you have a tie so I can braid it?" I asked, smiling up at him.

He grabbed one from his wrist and proceeded to braid my hair himself.

"Don't tell me the big bad Jax Teller has gone soft on us," I said jokingly as he finished my hair.

"Don't you wish darlin'," he said, kissing my neck as he sat down beside me. He wrapped one of his arms around my shoulders, causing me to lean into him some. I smiled softly as he kissed the top of my head.

"So, when are you free from this dump?" Gemma asked, finally sitting down with Abel.

"Tomorrow," Jax said.

"Hopefully," I responded.

"It'll be nice. Jax can get back to club business, Abel will be back in the care of the nanny, and I will be back at work," she said.

"Ma, I told you all that I want to be here because family is the priority," Jax said before I could say anything. "I want to be here with my old lady and Abel is my son so where he is is my business. And for the record, you can go back to work anytime you please."

"Jax, baby," she said, using the tone she reserved for scolding him.

"Ma, I'd really just like to relax with Alex if that's fine with you," Jax said.

"I guess I'll be going to work then. I know when I'm not wanted somewhere," she said, standing up and trying to take Abel with her.

"Ma, I can take care of Abel," Jax said, leaning away from me and taking his son back from Gemma. She nodded a little and walked out without saying much else.

"What's her issue today?" I asked as I reached over to hold Abel's hand.

"Probably some fight with Clay or something," he said.

"You really missing out on club business to be here with me?"

"Just a little," he said, kissing my temple.

I smiled softly as Abel babbled some. "Thanks babe. For being here I mean."

"I need to know you're safe. I can't trust some Prospect to keep out anyone coming after ya," he said, lifting my chin with one of his hands. He kissed my lips quickly and I smiled into the kiss.

"I missed you," I said softly.

"I've missed you too darlin'," he said. We hadn't been apart physically but mentally we have and that's just as draining. Jax, who doesn't like hospitals to begin with, has spent the last four days only within the walls of my hospital room. I've been in and out of sleep like never before as my body has been healing from the beating I endured. It hasn't been a great few days for anyone, but especially not for our relationship.