Chapter 2

By about midnight, I was ready to call it a day but there was still so much work that needed to be done.

I heard the door open and instantly tensed as I spun to see who was there.

"Take it easy hot shot," Jax said. "Just me."

"Don't you have some guys nuts to beat in or something?" I asked. Jax and I have a love hate sort of relationship. We grew up together. Everyone thought I'd marry either him or Opie. Opie is too much of a big brother figure for me to even consider marrying him an option. And Jax is, or I guess was, married to Wendy.

The two of us have always been good friends though most people in Charming consider us enemies. All we do is shoot sarcastic comments at one another and fight. Granted Jax fights with a lot of people, but he and I have always gone toe to toe without a second throughout. We would've gotten into some fist fights I'm sure but I'd always swing first and Opie would step in or Jax would restrain my arms himself.

"It's midnight. You're in my house. And you're going to act like this?" He questioned.

"I'll act how I please," I said.

"You know the only reason you ain't an old lady yet is-."

"Cause you decided to screw a crack whore?" I asked.

"I was thinking cause you don't like being told what to do, but maybe I'm wrong," he said. "Word on the street is you do anything for a few hundred dollars."

"What I do is none of your damn concern Teller," I said. "And for the record, I spent three hours getting blood stains off your floor today so you better act a little nicer."

He was starting to get on my nerves tonight. Ever since he patched in and married Wendy we haven't been as close so there is a lot about post high school me that the great Jackson Teller doesn't know. Nor does he need to know it.

"God you two," Gemma said, joining us.

"Us?" Jax asked. "Ma. It's nearly midnight. What are y'all doing here?"

"Cleaning, obviously," I said.

"Well Wendy's strong suit never was cleaning. Maybe you could move in and keep the house in order for me," he said.

"In your dreams Jackson," I said.

"Alex, let's get going," my mom said. "Gemma, if you need more help in the morning let us know."

"Hey, thanks for all the work," Jax said stopping me in my tracks to leave.

"Yeah. If you need anything or if there's anything we can do for you or the baby let us know," I said softly he nodded, the closest we'd get to a second thank you from him tonight. My mom and I left, heading home and falling asleep quickly.

The next day my mom and I helped Gemma clean up some more but then Jax's place got put on the back burner so the two of them could focus on their Taste of Charming fundraiser. I helped out with whatever I could and before we knew it the day was here.

Because of the stress of the day, Gemma was a bit snippier than usual, even with my mom. I was over it and I'd taken to mouthing back, walking the fine line of how much one can push back against Gemma.

"What else do ya need?" I asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Find my son," Gemma said, looking at the group of bikers who were present. Jax wasn't in that group.

It would also get me out of her hair for a few minutes.

"Yeah. Ma, I'm taking the car," I said. It was mine. She used to ride everywhere she needed to go on the back of dad's bike.

I called Jax's number that was in my phone as I walked but got nothing since it was his house phone. I decided the clubhouse probably wasn't where I should look cause Chibs would've gotten him up already. I figured he'd probably be at the hospital with his son so that's where I headed.

When I got there, I instantly headed for the NICU. I found Jax sitting in a chair near a baby who looked so small he shouldn't even be alive. I stood outside the room for a bit as Jax read to his son. Someone walked behind me and the noise of their keys caught his attention.

Jax noticed me and instantly smirked. He stood up and walked over to the door.

"What kinda short straw does one have to draw to babysit me?" He asked as he opened the door and stepped into the hallway.

"Your mother is looking for you and she is sick of dealing with me," I said.

"I got another hour before I'm late," he said.

"I know Jax," I said.

"I'm in the middle of reading to him. Mind waiting for a few?" Jax asked.

"Go ahead and finish but I can't leave without ya," I said.

"That's fine," he said, turning on his heel to return to his son. I stood outside the room, staring at Jax's side profile as he read.

He's just as handsome as ever, that's for sure. Wendy is headed to rehab and Tara is long gone. Ten years long gone. She's still in Chicago, married to some guy now. I even hear she's got a little one on the way.

Stop it. I mentally scolded myself. Jax would want nothing to do with me if he knew about my being a stripper in college to pay for school. I even kept it up for a while after I got back to help my mom pay the bills since my father was in jail.