Chapter 23

Shortly after my mom and I finished our lunch break, I headed out to see my father. The trip to the prison was just long enough for my anxiety about the situation to skyrocket. I headed through security without an issue and someone escorted me back to the visitation room. My father was sitting at one of the tables waiting for me. I headed over and took a seat across from him.

"Hey kiddo," he said.

"Hi Dad," I said. He looked pretty anxious.

"What brings you around?"

"I figured it was time for a visit," I said. "I kept trying to come but something would come up at the studio so I'd let Mom come see you."

"You working for her?" He asked. Anger was evidently displayed on his face.

"I was doing books before Bobby," I said. "Now I'm strictly behind the camera help. Trust me, I'm not doing anything in front of the camera."

"Jax wouldn't allow it," he said with a small smile.

"So you know?" I asked.

"About you being Jax's old lady?" He asked, earning a nod from me. "Yeah. He came to visit a while back about Caruso and I asked him what the deal was cause you're mom had significantly less to tell me about you. I figured it was only a matter of time."

"Yeah, well, Wendy's in rehab so I've been helping out with Abel a lot," I said.

"Yeah he said you were great with kids," Dad said. "Said you helped out Opie's kiddos after Donna past away."

"Yeah, it was a rough time for all of us," I said. He nodded a bit. We talked for a while longer, catching up on what I've been up to since I was last here.

"Um, there's something else I wanted to tell you," I said. He nodded a little and waited for me to continue.

"Well, Jax and I are getting pretty serious and he asked me to move in with him," I said. "I'm going to. I just wanted you to know."

"Thanks, for telling me. And, um, can I ask something of you?"

I nodded a little bit as he took a deep breath before continuing.

"If you two decide to get married, I wanted to be the one to walk you down the aisle," he said. "So don't have anyone step in."

I just nodded a little. "Maybe Mom but I won't ask another man." Being reminded that we wouldn't see my life outside hurt more than just about anything else.

"I love you kid," he said.

"I love you too, Dad," I said. Our time was up so I had to leave. I drove home, listening to music at a low volume.

When I walked inside Neeta and Abel weren't home yet. I took my purse to the bedroom and sat down on the bed. I let my head fall into my hands.

I checked my phone, noticing a voicemail from Jax. I let it play as I started at the floor.

Jax would be home in about an hour. I figured I should probably call Neeta and figure out where Abel is. I heard the door open and figured it was the two of them returning home. I laid back on the bed, knowing my presence wouldn't surprise Neeta.

I closed my eyes, listening for Neeta's voice but I never heard it. The second I realized something was off, I snapped my eyes open and panicked as I searched for a gun. Of course, because I figured that it was just Neeta, I couldn't find one as some guy came into the room dressed in all black and wearing a mask.