Chapter 17

A couple of days later, the feds ceased the assets on the studio.

"What the hell?" I asked looking at the paperwork the agent had given us.

"We're taking everything," the agent said.

"Hi Stahl. How's your nose feeling? Need it rebroken so it can heal better this time?" I asked bitterly.

"Ah ah ah. I'd watch it if I were you."

"Or what?"

She just walked away. I continued reading through the document. They really wiped us out. Took everything but the actors. My mom was busy spending our last few dollars on retainers for Lyla and Ima.

I grabbed my phone and called Jax.

"What's up babe?" He asked.

"Feds ceased our assets," I said. "Took everything the company had."

"So what?"

"Any chance we can get the money that my mom loaned you boys?" I asked.

"Not today baby," he said.

"It was worth a shot," I said. "How soon you think we can get it?"

"I'm not sure," he said.

"Fuck," I said. I could tell my mom was on the phone with someone. Probably my father. He usually called about this time cause this is when she'd take her lunch break.

"What?" Jax asked.

"If we don't figure something out quick our actors all go to fucking Georgie Caruso and we really have nothing," I said.

"I'll see what we can do on this end. I love you," he said.

"I love you too baby," I said before I hung up.

"We really have nothing," she said.

"I can't even get my hands on the money you loaned SMACRO," I said. She nodded a bit and we headed out.

"Mom, don't worry. I'll go back to dancing if I have to. Okay?" I said as I drove us home.

"Jax will never allow it," she said.

"Let me worry about Jax," I said. "I'll do what I have to to get Caracara back up and running okay?"

"And in the meantime our talent will all go to Georgie Caruso," she said.

"I'll get the guys on it if they start harassing our actors okay?" I said. "Just let the actors know we'll have something by next week."

"What are we going to do?" She asked.

"I'll buy the equipment and we'll shoot it in our goddamn house if we have to mom," I said.

"Okay."

We reached the house and headed separate ways. I started researching buildings for sale that would be large enough to house the studio. I kept coming up short.

I'd been at it a few hours when my mom came in and told me we had to go meet Lyla at the hospital.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Caruso's guys got her," she said. We got in my car and drove down to St. Thomas. Lyla was sitting in the waiting room with ice on her nose.

"Let me see," I said, squatting in front of her. She pulled the ice pack away and explained what happened.

"God damn it," I said. I took a few deep breaths to steady myself. Lyla continued to hold the ice on her face as my mom fretted over her. I stood up and walked across the hallway, winding up maybe five feet away from the two.

I tried to contain my anger, but it wasn't going so well. It'd been a long day, and it was about to get even longer.

As we were waiting for a doctor to see Lyla, Jax and Chibs walked in.

"What the hell happened?" Jax asked looking between all of us.

"Caruso got to her," I said. He walked over and took the ice pack off her face gently.

"Tell him what Caruso said," my mom said.

"He said to tell Luann that if the little biker boys showed up again, he'd roll the cameras and ram his dick up your asses," Lyla said.

"What the hell did you do?" I asked Jax angrily.

"I did what Otto asked," he said as if that answered everything. He turned his attention to Chibs as he continued. "Come on man. We'll see Gemma later."

My mother started yelling at Jax.

"Do you know who you're talking to?" Jax snapped spinning on his heel.

"Do you know who you're talking to?" I snapped back, quickly putting myself between my mother and my boyfriend.

"Get her face heeled up," he snapped.

"Just be careful. Caruso doesn't exactly play by the books," I said, softening into Jax's girlfriend.

"I repeat, do you know who you're talking to?" He asked, a more playful tone in his voice this time. I kissed his lips quickly.

"Go while you still have some anger left for that asshat," I said. Jax nodded and left with Chibs, leaving my mother and I to tend to Lyla and her wounds.