Chapter 10

My mother and I were helping Gemma and Wendy clean up when Jax got a phone call and almost instantly started crying.

"What's wrong baby?" Gemma asked. A few of the guys were still here talking with Jax and they all seemed really concerned.

"That was Unser. We gotta go," Jax said. The guys all hopped up and headed out.

"No one leaves this house til I say so," Jax said. "I'm serious Alex."

He didn't even give me time to shoot my mouth off before he was running out the door and taking off.

We finished up cleaning in near silence as we all worried about what was going on.

Since we couldn't leave we all sat around the living room talking a bit as we waited for Jax to return. I sat on the couch watching the minutes turn into hours on the clock as Wendy started to doze off and my mom and Gemma sat on the loveseat drinking coffee and chatting like this was a normal Sunday morning.

"How are you guys so calm right now?" I asked, looking up from the glass of water that Gemma had brought me twenty minutes ago.

"Years of practice," Gemma said.

"It does get easier with time," my mother said. I nodded a bit and took a sip of water. I heard engines out front and froze.

"Just the guys," Gemma said. I nodded a bit as Jax walked in with Chibs and Clay right behind him.

"Donna was killed," Jax said after a few seconds of us all just staring at them.

I knew it was going to be bad, but Donna being dead? I never would've expected this.

"Chibs is going to escort you two home," Jax said, placing his hand on my shoulder.

I nodded a little and stood up. My mom seemed totally unaffected, same with Gemma. Wendy was long gone, passed out on the couch.

"Wanna stay?" Jax asked lowly.

"You want me too?" I asked looking at him and his eyes said it all. He couldn't be alone right now. I told my mom I was staying and she left with Chibs. Gemma hugged Jax before she left with Clay.

Jax carried Wendy to the bedroom before returning to the couch and sitting down with me. Jax and I sat in silence on the couch for a while, just holding one another.

"How's Opie?" I asked quietly.

"Completely destroyed. Mary is here and he has Piney, but it's still hell on him," Jax said. I nodded a little. They'd been in love since middle school. Their marriage even survived Opie's five years in prison. Now their whole family had been torn apart by some gangbanger.

"We can go tomorrow," I said. "Check on him and the kids."

"Yeah," he said.

"Jax," I said. He looked into my eyes for the first time since he got the call.

"We will get through this. Us, Opie, Ellie and Kenny," I said. "All of us."

He buried his face in my shoulder.

"I know," he said lowly. He was obviously crying so I ran my fingers through his hair and cooed to him softly. Eventually his sobs subsided.

"It's important to feel these things Jax," I said. "You can't bottle things up."

"I know Alex," he said. "Thank you."

I nodded a bit and stood up.

"Get some rest," I said.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"To the loveseat," I said. He pulled me back into the couch, forcing me to lay on his chest.

"And when Wendy finds us like this in the morning?"

"She still sleeps til noon," he said with a chuckle. Unfortunately Abel started crying so Jax and I headed to the nursery to check on him. He just needed changed.

We returned to the couch and laid down once again, finally attempting to get some rest after a terribly long day.