Chapter 46

The next morning, I dropped Jax off at the garage and headed into work.

As I drove, Gemma called to tell me about a dinner she was hosting at 8pm tonight. I agreed to be at her place by 6 to help her out. She had already made arrangements with Neeta to take Abel over after lunch  and help her as well.

My mom was already here when I pulled in, but none of the talent had arrived yet. I walked in and instantly my heart dropped.

"The camera is missing. And so is my laptop which has three rough cuts on it," she said. I pulled her into my arms and grabbed my phone, dialing Jax's number as I held her.

"Baby it's been ten minutes," Jax said.

"You need to get out here now," I said.

"I'll be there as soon as I can," he said and hung up.

While we were waiting for Jax, all of the actors showed up. We managed to get most of them outside. Luckily Jax showed up before too much longer with Bobby in tow.

"What happened?"

"The camera is missing and so is my laptop. Three rough cuts were on that damn thing," my mother said.

"The camera is insured the real problem is the missing footage," I said.

"What happened to the guard dog I bought for you?" Jax asked angrily.

"See for yourself," I said. He and Bobby both looked pissed but followed my mother and I inside. The dog was laying dead in front of the door of Lyla's dressing room.

She was terrified beyond belief, and only wanted Opie so Jax called him to come calm her down.

"Was it Caruso?" Jax asked.

"What other bastard would be sick enough to do this?" I asked.

"It had to be Caruso," my mom said.

"We'll handle this," Jax said. I nodded a little and he wrapped his arm around my shoulders. Before long Opie showed up and we had to talk more business. The guys left within fifteen minutes of Opie's arrival. Jax promised to send a prospect to deal with the dead dog, but we weren't going to be able to get anything done today so my mom and I sent everyone home and waited for the prospect.

I didn't know the kid who showed up but he handled the situation quickly and left. He even cleaned up the blood which we were both thankful for.

"I'll see you tonight at Gemma's at eight," my mom said.

"Alright Momma. I love you," I said, hugging her tightly.

"I love you too. Oh, and I talked to your brother. He is gonna come home," she said.

"It'll be nice to have him back," I said. She got into her car so I got into mine.

I hadn't thought about my older brother in months, maybe even years. He'd joined the army and hadn't been back to Charming since. He's eight years older than me so I haven't seen him since I was ten.

He'd been overseas when my older sister died and he couldn't get home. He refused to come home when Dad had been arrested.  It didn't matter how hard my mother tried to talk him into coming home for Christmas or birthdays, he never would. Maybe he finally caved since Dad is blind now.

As I drove home, I thought of reaching out to him. I was sure I could get his number from my mom tonight at dinner, but what would I say? I was sure he had to remember me. We had some great times when I was really young, but he left sixteen years ago and I haven't really heard from him since.

I knew he left to get away from the MC lifestyle. He'd hate that I was now dating the VP.

Luckily, I pulled into the driveway and I could quit thinking about him once again.