Chapter 4

About a week later, I got a call from Gemma once again. I'd helped her here and there with cleaning Jax's apartment or other things for her, but it's just been small favors that I only did because she's friends with my mother.

"Hey baby," she said. "How'd you like to make a couple hundred dollars?"

"What're ya thinking Gemma?" I responded.

"Maybe we could work something out. You still doing art?" She asked.

"It's a hobby," I said, very confused as to where she was going with this.

"Well Jax's buddy left us quite the gift in Abel's room last night and I'm going to have to redo it all. Even ripping up the carpet. Anyways, how would you like to paint a Harley mural for me?"

The way she said buddy made it obvious that he had beef with someone and they broke into his house to vandalize his son's nursery.

"Sure, gonna cost ya at least five hundred though," I said.

"Four," she responded. "And I'll put in a good word with the club."

"Five. I don't need that," I said.

"Split it. Four fifty and a good word with my dear son about how willing you were to help out," she said.

"Fine," I said. "When can I start?"

"Now if you're willing to rip up the pissed soaked carpet," she said.

"I'll be there in half an hour," I said. I grabbed some painting supplies and headed out to Jax's place.

When I arrived Gemma was waiting for me.

"Look I gotta run. Gotta see my boys. There's a company coming to put the new carpet in the day after tomorrow. Can you have it done by then?" She asked as she got in her car.

"I may be here round the clock but yeah," I said.

"Good," she said and drove off. I was glad I was used to her not being the warm and fuzzy type. She would've pissed me off if she hadn't been this way my whole life.

I headed back to Abel's room, which she hadn't even bothered clearing out yet. I started hauling furniture out as quick as I could. It took about forty minutes but the room was empty and I could start pulling up the carpet.

Luckily the floors underneath weren't terrible. They were by no means great, but they would suffice while I finished the mural.

I pulled up reference pictures of Jax's bike and started sketching it on the one wall.

A few minutes turned into a few hours, and before I knew it, the sky outside was pitch black and the neighborhood was dead asleep. I was starting to feel the effects the day was having on me and went to my bag. I dug out a pack of smokes and an energy drink. I took the cigarettes and headed outside. I sat down on the steps, looking out towards the street. I smoked in pure silence. It was nice to get to sit alone and not have to think for a few minutes. Before long though, I had to return to the mural. This had to be perfect and I didn't have a ton of time.

By midnight I had the sketch completed. I contemplated coming back in the morning to actually paint it but I knew I'd hate myself if I ran out of time. Gemma would never let me finish the painting once the new carpet was installed.

I grabbed my paints and started pouring some out onto a pallet. I got to work getting base colors down.

I was sitting on my heels, humming a little as I worked on the back wheel of the bike when a voice behind me caused me to jump and almost mess up.