Chapter 36

The following afternoon, Jax, Abel, and I took my car and headed off to get a tree and ornaments.

"Babe, we could make ornaments for cheaper," I said, looking through the glitter covered spheres that lined the aisle.

"We could, and cover the house in glitter in the process," he said.

"Yeah there is that," I said, giggling a little. "I concede this year, but in the future it could be fun. Having a day where we decorate as a family and we make ornaments and cookies."

"Fine, maybe when Abel is old enough to help," he said. I smiled at him and picked out some ornaments.

"Why don't we just get a fake tree?" I asked. "They're easier and will be cheaper in the long run."

"And won't drop pine needles on my floor," he said.

"Not that you clean the floors anyways," I said.

He chuckled a little and grabbed a tree, putting the box in the cart. He continued to push the cart as we looked at decorations. I was carrying Abel against my chest in a baby carrier as he babbled about something.

Before long we had a sufficient amount of decorations and we were headed home to decorate. I convinced Jax to buy lights for the outside of the house as well. He wasn't impressed and only agreed to decorate outside if he could rope in prospects to make it easier. I conceded because honestly I didn't care who decorated as long as someone did.

When we arrived home, I instantly set to work rearranging the living room. Abel was in his playpen, watching Jax and I move things around to make space for the tree. When I had decided that I liked the new arrangement, Jax dramatically threw himself onto the couch.

"We're not anywhere near done baby," I said. He glared at me, earning a smile and a quick kiss on the lips.

"Why do we go to all this trouble when it's just gonna be taken down in a few days anyways?"

"Christmas isn't til Friday," I said. "Plus they can stay up through the new year."

"Fine baby," he said. "The prospects will be here soon to put the outside lights up."

"So we should probably get started on this here tree," I said. He gave me a look that meant no and I started to work on it myself. Abel started to cry a bit so I looked at Jax to get him.

"What's wrong little man?" He asked softly as he picked Abel up.

"He probably needs changed," I said. He nodded and headed off to the nursery to change Abel. While he was in the nursery, someone knocked on the door. I headed over to the door to see who was there. I saw a couple bikes out front and one guys wearing a Prospects kutte. I opened the door to Half Sack.

"Hey," I said. "Jax is in the nursery. Y'all can come in though."

"Yeah," Half Sack said as the other four followed him in.

"I'll be right back," I said. I headed down to the nursery and found Jax rocking Abel a bit.

"Five prospects?" I asked. "How do you plan on paying em?"

"Yes five so it doesn't take me all fucking day. And they do what I say to get into the club," he said.

"Babe, this isn't a club thing," I said. He handed Abel to me and we all headed back to the living room.

A few hours later, the outside of the house was decorated and Jax and I worked on the tree while I held Abel. He kept trying to grab ornaments from me so I was thankful we'd decided on shatter proof ones. He was pretty easily distracted too. Every time he saw an ornament he was completely mesmerized by it.

"Oh little man," Jax said as he tried to grab an ornament off the tree. "What are we gonna do with you?"

"Tell Daddy that they're just ornaments and you're just curious. I'm sure he was too," I said, smiling a little at Jax as he hung the last ornament on the tree.

"Perfect," I said.

"Almost," he said, the star in his hands.

"Do the honors," I said. He nodded and placed the star at the top of the tree.

When Jax and I finally made it to bed that night we were both exhausted.

"Baby, is all the shopping done?" I asked.

"Abel's and your's is. I got Clay a new knife," he said.

"I did your shopping and my mom and Gemmas," I said. "So that just leave wrapping."

"That is a tomorrow kind of problem," he said.

"I can start tomorrow night after work," I said.

"I don't know what this week is going to look like with the club but they better not think I'm doing any club shit on Thursday or Friday," he said. I nodded in agreement before it fell silent.

"Wait, baby, who does Chibs spend the day with?" I asked softly. "Bobby and Tig both have family they can go see. Juice is headed to New York to see his sister. Everyone else has family here. Except Chibs."

"I don't know if he even celebrates to be honest," he said. "I can talk to mom."

"I'll pick something up for him unless you want to," I said.

"He'd be just as happy with a six pack and some homemade cookies," he said.

"You're supposed to take that tray to the garage anyways," I said. "And we should get him a real gift. I'm scared he will be alone on Christmas."

"I will talk to Chibs tomorrow about his plans and if he doesn't have any I'll invite him. Okay?" Jax asked as he rubbed my back a little to get me to calm down.

"Thank you baby. I love you," I said.

"I love you too," he said, kissing my hand that was in his.