Chapter 35

As we walked into the dining room, Jax's hand securely on my hip bone, I smiled at everyone gathered. Most of the guys were gathered around the table talking about different things, and they'd left their kuttes at home. The women and kids were scattered about making cookies.

Opie was standing with his kids and Layla as the five of them laughed about something. Tig was sitting with Bobby and discussing something as they drank coffee. Chibs was sitting near them holding Abel. He smiled at Jax and I as we approached the table.

"Jackie boy," Chibs said. "Kid's got quite the set of lungs."

"And a touch of Jax's separation anxiety," I said with a smile at my boyfriend.

"Uh huh, real cute babe," he said, pretending to be mad at me. I stood on my tiptoes and kissed his lips quickly. He started smiling and had to drop his act.

"How're you doing Alex?" Chibs asked as he continued to hold Abel. Jax was busy making faces at our son.

"I'm doing pretty well," I said. "Doc said the recovery is going even better than they expected which is great."

"That's what we like to hear," he said.

Gemma called for me and I had to excuse myself to go help her.

"Hey, I'm sorry for my outburst this morning," I said to her as I started looking over the recipe she had handed me.

"Don't be. You were right," she said. "And make a double batch."

I nodded and started in on the sugar cookie dough as Jax walked over.

"What was that about?" He asked.

"Well, these are going to be sugar cookie dough. And I apologized for the outburst and she told me that I was right," I said.

"Weird. I didn't know she knew that phrase," he said.

"Me either," I said. "Wanna help?"

He agreed and we started making cookies. Abel started crying again so Chibs walked him over to Jax and I.

"Just put him in the playpen," Gemma said as Jax took Abel and the two continued to help me. Chibs headed off in search of coffee.

"He's fine," I said. Gemma proceeded to glare at me and I moved closer to Jax as I grabbed the next ingredient and didn't move away from him. With her son and grandson this close the thought of harming me subsided and she relaxed.

Abel started babbling on and on and Jax started talking to him.

"Yeah little man. I don't know what's going on either," Jax said.

"For someone who eats so many sugar cookies you'd think you would learn to make them," I said.

"That's what I keep you around for," he said.

"You'd be lost without me there pretty boy," I said.

"Do you all hear this? She's insulting me," Jax said.

"Sorry bro, you just have an insultable, well, everything," Opie said.

Everyone started laughing.

"Seriously, no one," Jax said.

"Sorry Jax," I said. "Guess you're outnumbered."

He leaned down to kiss my cheek.

"For the record," he whispered. "I would be lost without you."

I smiled a bit at him and kissed him before he headed off to sit down and stop being a pain in my ass.

I finished up the dough and placed it in the fridge to chill for a while. I cleaned up a bit before heading to sit down with my boyfriend and our son.

Honestly the whole day was just so perfect. I wished everyday could be so obviously filled with love.