Chapter 14

When my mother and I arrived at the cemetery, everyone else was there. The only person missing was the one I wanted to see more than anything, Jax. My mom and I headed down to join everyone. We each laid a flower on Donna's casket before joining the group.

Juice was standing near the only open chair. He motioned for me to take it but I gave it up to my mom and settled for standing with Juice and some of the other guys. Juice was holding Jax's kutte in his hands.

"Here," he said, offering the leather to me. "I figured at the very least it could be here since no one's heard from him since last night."

I nodded a bit and took the folded up leather from him. I tried not to cry as the service started.

About half way through the service, Jax walked up. He was looking rough. He had a few cuts and bruises on his face and he was wearing a white tshirt and jeans that looked like they'd been slept in. I quietly walked over to him and held his kutte up for him to slip on.

"Come on," I said, taking his hand.

"I'm not staying," he said. I nodded a bit and returned to my spot by Juice. Jax laid a flower on the casket before taking off.

By the time the service ended, I was in tears.

"Mom, take my car and go. I'm going to find Jax," I said. She nodded and took my keys.

"You good?" Juice asked. I nodded and headed off in the direction of Thomas's grave. Thomas was Jax's brother who'd passed away at the age of six from a heart defect.

When I approached, Piney was standing there talking to Jax so I hung back until Piney left.

"Hey," I said, walking up to Jax.

"Hi," he said. "I'm gonna go see dad."

"Want to be alone?" I asked. He shook his head no and I interlaced our hands before we walked off towards his father grave.

"What did Piney want?" I asked softly.

"He gave me something that my dad gave him a long time ago," Jax said holding up a Manila envelope. I nodded a bit and figured I wouldn't pry anymore.

"What happened last night?" I asked softly.

"Club business," he said. I knew that meant to drop the subject.

"Well, after this you should probably let me clean up your face so it doesn't get infected," I said. "Looks like it hurt."

"Not as much as what's about to rain down on me."

We fell silent as we approached John Teller's grave. Jax just stood there, staring at his fathers grave.

"I'll give you some space," I said, moving away a bit. I stood watching him as he appeared to speak with his father. I watched as Clay and Gemma approached before freezing when they saw Jax standing at the grave. They took notice of me as well and decided to wait where they were.

After a few more minutes, Jax and I left, heading for his bike. He took me back to his place, heading immediately for the first aid kit. Wendy was here, freaking out about Jax's face.

"Calm down," I said. "Go tend to your son. I'll tend to Jax."

"He's still my husband," she spat at me.

"I filed over a year ago," he snapped. "We're no longer married in every sense but the paperwork."

"Calm down," I said, forcing him to take a seat as I started to clean out his cuts.

"God whoever hit you had a good right hook," I said softly.

"Tig."

"Tig did this to you. That bastard," I said.

"Calm down," Jax said. "I swung first."

I nodded a bit and finished up cleaning the cuts. Wendy couldn't get Abel to calm down so Jax took him and instantly he quit crying. I refrained from making the smart ass remark that I wanted to make about her mothering skills.

"Wanna stay for a bit?" Jax offered as he took Abel to sit on the couch. I nodded and sat down beside him, smiling down at the boy.