Chapter 47

Later that afternoon, I changed into a tanktop, some jeans, and some heels and headed off to Gemma's to help her prep for dinner.

The prep went smoothly and by quarter to eight people were showing up. Lyla showed up with Opie's two kids in tow. They seemed a little upset about having to be here but I can't blame them. I remember being pissed that Mom and Dad used to drag me to club dinners and that was back when I had a bunch of kids my age around.

Half the guys showed up, but a few were still missing. I was kind of running around like a chicken with my head cut off as I tried to finish a bunch of random things for Gemma while she tended to Clay.

"Hey baby," Jax said as he walked up behind me.

"Hey," I said, turning just enough that I could kiss him quickly before going back to work on the salad I was making.

"How was today?" I asked softly.

"Stressful," he said. Tig was shouting at Bobby and they had to be pulled apart. There was some more shouting about where Bobby, Opie, and Jax were and another fight almost broke out.

Hale walked in the open door and scared the shit out of me.

"I need to talk to you," he said. "All of you."

He was staring dead at me and I didn't like the feeling growing in the pit of my stomach.

"No," I said. I knew what he was going to say and I didn't want to hear it.

"I'm so sorry, but Luann Delaney's body was just found beaten to death off the interstate," he said. I collapsed a little causing Jax to wrap his arms around me and lead me to a chair. Clay started screaming at Jax and Jax started yelling back.

"Neeta, take the kids into the other room. Please," I said. She nodded and took Ellie and Kenny into the room where Abel was sitting in his playpen.

The screaming match was still going on, so Gemma shattered a plate to get them to shut up.

I had my head in my hands, my elbows propped up on the table as Gemma moved to wrap her arms around me.

"It's okay to cry baby," she said. I nodded and wiped my eyes a little. Jax walked over and sat down beside me, pulling me into his arms. I leaned into his chest and tried to breath.

"We should head home," Jax said softly, more to me than anyone else.

I nodded a little and wiped my eyes once again.

"Want Mom to take Abel?" He asked. I shook my head no.

"Go get him. I think we can handle putting him to bed," I said. Jax kissed my temple before walking off to find his son.

When he returned, Gemma realized we were leaving and got pissed.

"Where do you think you're going?" She snapped.

"I'm gonna take my old lady home so she can grieve in peace," he said.

"I'll get your bike back man," Opie said. They bro hugged and exchanged keys as I stood up to leave.

"Thanks for organizing this Gemma. I just need to be alone right now," I said softly. She hugged me tightly before Jax's arm was around my waist and leading me out to my car.

He situated Abel in the backseat before getting in the drivers seat. He interlaced our hands as he drove and I cried silently.

My mom was gone. She was really gone. I'd never again go crying to her because of a stupid fight with Jax. We'd never again have girls days where we take off from the studio and get our hair and nails done. She'd never again show me the ropes of some new production that the studio was doing. She wouldn't be there to handle Ima's meltdowns or work out the kinks of a new shoot.

She was gone and I was as good as alone. First my grandmother, then my sister, and now my mother.