Chapter 26

"How's Able?" I asked the second my mother left the room.

"You're in the hospital and you're worried about him?" Jax asked.

"She's a great mom," Gemma said from the doorway.

"We're not going to stay long, we just wanted to stop in and see you for a few," Clay said. The two walked over to my bed as Jax moved the blanket to cover my feet once again.

"You're never going to stop kicking them off are you?" He asked chuckling at me.

"Thanks baby," I said. He kissed my hair gently in response.

"How are you feeling?" Gemma asked, taking a seat in the chair her son had recently stood up from.

"I've been better, but I'll get through," I said.

"If you ever want to talk, I've been there too," she said. I smiled and thanked her as Clay and Jax talked softly in the corner of the room.

"And for the record, Able is doing okay. Not a scratch on him," she said. I nodded, thankful that he was fine. I didn't care how much pain I was in as long as I'd protected Jax's son from it.

"That's good. Do you think I'll be able to see him soon?" I asked softly.

"That is up to Jax," she said.

"I'll talk to him then," I said.

It fell quiet between the two of us as Jax and Clay finished up their conversation. The two walked over to Gemma and I and acted as if their conversation never happened.

"Thank you," Clay said after a second. "For protecting Abel the way you did."

"All I did was piss off the guys with guns to my head," I said.

"You saved him," Gemma said. I smiled softly as she stood up and Clay wrapped his arm around her waist.

"We're going to head out. Opie is get antsy," Clay said. I nodded a little as the two walked out.

"When are you going to bring Able down. I need to see him. I trust you all that he's okay, but I still need to see him," I said. Jax stared at the door like he expected someone to come in guns blazing any second.

"Tomorrow," he said, looking down at me.

I pouted a little and he chuckled, kissing my temple.

"Hi," Opie said, leaning against the door frame.

"Hi," I said. Jax and Opie made eye contact, having a silent conversation about something. I rolled my eyes at the two. Opie has always been like a big brother to me.

"How are ya feeling?" Opie asked.

"Like shit," I said. He laughed at me as he moved to stand at the foot of my bed.

"I bet. You took quite the beating," he said.

"I'm just happy to be alive," I said softly and Jax instantly turned towards me more.

"We're happy you're alive too," Opie said, acting as if Jax and I weren't currently having a moment.

"You're real cute," Opie said after a minute.

"Yeah she is," Jax said, kissing my nose gently.

"I'm glad you're doing okay, but the rest of the guys wanna see you and I should probably go see the kids," Opie said.

"Thanks for staying Ope," I said. He nodded a little and walked out.

"How long have I been here?" I asked.

"You were attacked three nights ago. The guys have been here round the clock in shifts. Opie and I took a while to get here cause we were handling the guys who attacked you, but I haven't left since. Except for once when Gemma made me go home and shower."

"Thanks," I said softly. "For being here constantly. I wouldn't have pulled through without you."

"Sure you would've. You're a bad ass," Jax said.

"Jackie boy," Chibs said as he walked into the room. I smiled a little at Chibs' presence. It was always obvious, at least to me, how much he cared for the other guys in the club.

"Hey man," Jax said.

"Hey sweetie," he said to me.

"Hi Chibs," I said.

"We're all real glad ya pulled through. Jackie boy here woulda been going on a spree," Chibs said.

"Can't have that," I said, reaching out to take Jax's hand.

The rest of the day consisted of all of the guys from the club popping in to the room one at a time. By the time the sky was starting to dim, they'd all been in the room at least once and Jax and I were finally alone for a few minutes.