66

DAMIEN

"3 young boys were found just outside Sugarhill last night, you hear that?" My mom scoffs, switching off the news.

"This why I be telling y'all to go to school, get a good job and get the hell up out of here. 3 dead boys tied up together, tortured,"

"It was disgusting, their bodies we're unrecognisable. Their parents had to identify them and imagine what they saw." She tuts.

My moms knew how I made money, i've been chilling with Sugarhill niggas since young and i've been making money for them since as long as I can remember.

She lost hope trying to get me out of that life so she only made passive aggressive comments like so. I was the baby of the family with two older sisters.

They both went to school, attended good universities and got good jobs as a lawyer and as a doctor. I was proud of them, me and my moms both was but growing up as the only man in my house, I went down a different path.

I was slightly jealous of how easy life was for my sisters because they were women. If you were a young black boy in a area like this, you were targeted and groomed and turned into a drug dealer.

I got used to it and there wasn't nothing I can do about it. The risk wasn't worth it but I made enough to support myself and my moms so I was okay with it for now.

"Ma I don't wanna hear all that, i'm safe and i'm still alive by the grace of God so let's end this conversation." I tell her, putting my cereal bowl in the sink and planting a kiss on her cheek.

"That's all you say, I worry son," She sighs but I don't reply. I didn't want to hear this. "Where you going?"

"You know my friend, Niyah? She's in the hospital, i'm gonna go ahead and see her." I tell her.

"Be safe, these streets ain't safe anymore Damien, i'm telling you." She scoffs, looking outside the window.

"It ain't ever been safe ma, i'a see you later." I tell her, patting my pockets for my keys.

"Damien- I won't forget to pray before I leave, stop worrying." I interrupt her, knowing exactly what she's going to say.

To be honest, I lost my faith a while ago butI started to really try and gain it back after Niyah got shot. When she did, something changed.

I didn't wanna be hanging around with the same
foods that I did, most of them were bums who just got high and claimed they were apart of a gang they had no reason to join.

I didn't wanna be falling into the same old habits I did. And I prayed for the first time in years, every time I was in Niyah's room.

She changed something in me and I couldn't wait to tell her when she woke up. It's crazy that Inmiss someone who I barely knew.

Back again,

The room were filled with dozens of flowers, all types of color's. Honestly I think most of it were mine, I remember overheating her on the phone talking about how much she loves flowers and she's never been gifted flowers before.

I just wanted to see her face when she woke up.

The room was too bland, she deserved some color. Something lively. To describe how she was.

I set the pink roses onto her bedside table before throwing one of the other cheap bouquet that was already dying.

I wonder who gave her that bullshit.

"Hey shorty, i'm back. You probably gonna think i'm weird as hell when you wake up, coming to see you damn near everyday, filling your room with these flowers," I chuckle, joking to myself.

"When you wake up, i'a take you on a date. I've came to the decision that that's what I want to do even though I said I wouldn't but you real cool I won't even lie to you,"

"I've been listening to that shit you kept playing at your salon and shit, that Frank Ocean song. My dawg called me gay but I fuck with it." I reply to myself before sitting down, sighing.

Talking to myself felt weird, I just wished she could've replied to me. I took another deep breath before closing my eyes and clasping my hands together.

"Yo you good?" Ace walks in, causing me to jump up. I felt embarrassed, stupid even. Praying wasn't gonna do shit so I don't know why the idea came up.

"Yeah I was just- I disturb you praying or some shit? Looking all focused?" He interrupts, asking me.

"Nah, nah."

"Your ass is going straight to hell, how are you ashamed of praying?" He jokes and I awkwardly chuckle.

"Man."

"Ain't nothing wrong with it Damien, God's the only thing that can save Niyah anyway." He replies, finding a seat next to me.

"You think so?" I ask him, turning back to him.

"I know so," He replies, leaning back in his seat. I nod before looking back at Niyah's cold, lifeless body.

"I appreciate you for bringing her here but you know you don't have to keep coming back. You don't owe me or her anything."

"I fucked with her, she was cool. I saw her get shot, you know? Like she really got shot and she was bleeding in front of me. That was scary as hell. This might sound weird but I- I kind of care for her, she got shot in front of me man." I explain to him.

"Yeah, yeah, I hear you. Holding someone whilst they bleeding out, calling for your name, that ain't no fun experience." He replies but I don't question it.

"I just tell myself everyday, she's going to wake up. No matter how long it takes, she'll wake up." I mumble, talking to myself rather than him.

"Thank you." He says, putting his hand out in front of me. My eyes widen slightly before I shake his hand.

"Yeah- yeah of course." I reply.

writers note:

do you guys like Damien?

boring chapter but mb 🥲 infrunami is nearly done guys this has been a great journey