Old acquaintances

Eldi and Goldmi looked at Gjaki and shook their heads. The vampiress had told them none of this, and they knew she had done it on purpose.

"So smug..." the elf laughed as soon as they moved a little away from the soldiers. These now looked like fans who had seen their favorite singer for the first time.

Gjaki stuck her tongue out at her, without any hint of regret. In fact, she felt very comfortable in that place. The vampiress didn't have to hide her race, and all she needed was some disguising. Dying her hair a dark red was enough to keep her from being overwhelmed by her admirers. She did it shortly after passing the checkpoint.

"There had to be some advantage to traveling with her most illustrious majesty," Eldi mocked.

"You're just jealous..." she also stuck her tongue at him.

The three of them soon laughed out loud, while the lynx and the goshawk ignored them and watched the surroundings. Although there didn't seem to be anything threatening, it never hurt to be safe. At most, a group of children could be seen. They had stopped their game to look curiously at those foreigners.

Her companions followed the vampiress to a simple but cozy-looking inn. There, they were greeted by a vampire who appeared to be in his late twenties, though he was in his forties.

"Good morning, how can I help you? Do you want rooms, or are you coming for a meal?" he asked them politely.

Gjaki stared at him without saying anything, while her companions didn't understand what was up with her friend.

"Good morning?" the vampire repeated, somewhat uncomfortable by being stared like that.

"Ralko?" the vampiress asked.

"Eeh!? Do we know each other?" he felt confused.

"Ha, ha. So it's you! You were barely a kid the last time I saw you! Look at you now!" Gjaki exclaimed. "Is Rikala around?"

"This... Wait a minute..." he asked, somewhat confused. He didn't know who that vampiress who knew his name was.

He hurried to the kitchen, where the preparations for lunch were just beginning.

"Mom? There's a vampiress who claims to know you. She's come with a human and an elf," he informed the woman who was filling some pots with water.

"Who's she?" she asked, without turning around.

"Uhm... I haven't asked her name... It seems she knew me as a child..." he answered awkwardly, as he hadn't asked something so basic.

"Really... Sigh... I'm going to see who she is..." she got exasperated. "Fill the pots meanwhile."

She tossed her apron on the table and headed for the counter. As soon as she arrived, her eyes widened in disbelief.

"Hi, Rikala!" she was greeted.

She didn't say a word, while her eyes moistened and a huge smile adorned her face. Rikala walked over to Gjaki and hugged her. The color of her hair wasn't enough to fool her.

"Why have you taken so long to visit us? I was beginning to believe that your title had gone to your head," she reproached her, without letting her go.

In fact, if Gjaki hadn't been level 100, that hug might have been painful. Although she did find the words somewhat painful. They made her feel guilty.

"I'm sorry I didn't come sooner," she apologized.

"No, no. Don't listen to me. Are these your friends? Welcome to the inn of The Mysterious Lady," she received them.

"They're Goldmi and Eldi," Gjaki introduced them.

"Oh! Those Goldmi and Eldi?" the innkeeper was astonished.

"Those."

"Oh! What a surprise! Nice to finally meet you! Gjaki had talked a lot about you! Take a seat! Let me bring you something! Have you had breakfast?" Rikala offered.

"Gja... Gjaki?" the innkeeper's son stammered, stunned.

"Come on Ral, don't make that face. Aunt Gjaki had even changed your diapers once. Ha, ha. Do you remember?" the innkeeper reminded.

"How to forget it!? I'd never believed that a baby could shit so much! Ha, ha," Gjaki laughed.

Ralko's jaw dropped, not knowing what to say. He felt embarrassed, bewildered, and overwhelmed. She wasn't only the Blood Queen herself, but also the person who had given him his favorite stuffed animal as a child, a giant bat.

He didn't know how to accept that the same person he remembered as a child was the most admired person in town. He was staring at her without being able to react, when some voices interrupted them.

"Ralko, you dirty innkeeper! Your daddy has been arrested for insults! Who's going to defend you now? Oh! Do you have clients? You guys, better leave before you get involved with these beggar liars! There're much better inns!" a blond vampire broke in.

He was accompanied by five other thug-looking individuals. He wore clothes that were undoubtedly of high quality, although the three companions found them somewhat extravagant and ostentatious. Seeing the worried faces of their hosts, they frowned.

"Does what that short-fanged guy is barking have something to do with the fact that no one is there? What's going on? Where's Talto?" Gjaki asked.

"Who're you calling short fangs!? Do you know who I am!?" the newcomer interrupted, enraged.

That was an insult to any vampire, especially to the most arrogant ones, those who believed that vampires were above everyone. After all, the fangs were a symbol of that supposed superiority.

Gjaki looked at the innkeeper, ignoring him. None of them had a high level, and she didn't care who they were. Not in that city.

"His name is Firont, and he's the son of a rather wealthy merchant. He's taken a fancy to Ralko's girlfriend, and wants him to break with her. They've been harassing us, scaring our clients. Talto had gone to present the case to the Council. I'm afraid they've bribed someone from the guard, and they've arrested him," the innkeeper explained, visibly concerned.

"Oh. We have a cliché event. How about a tavern fight?" she spoke to her companions with a wicked expression.

"Sounds like fun," Eldi agreed.

"It's been a long time. I hope I'm not rusty," Goldmi smiled mischievously, while clenching her knuckles.

For their part, the lynx and the goshawk simply moved away. Their participation wasn't convenient, and it was interesting for them to be spectators. Seeing her sister in that situation was unusual.

The innkeeper and her son looked at them in astonishment. Precisely, starting a fight was the worst thing they could do in those circumstances, as it could draw the attention of the Guard. That could lead to bigger problems. Little did she know that this was precisely what Gjaki was planning.