Departure

"I have fulfilled my mission here. From now on, it's up to you. I hope that this time the oaths will be fulfilled," Eldi Hnefa announced, before opening a Gate.

That surprised many of those present, although most of the nobles soon reacted favorably. It was a logical decision. He had overthrown one queen and crowned another, without giving himself any role. His presence could be uncomfortable.

The not yet crowned queen then looked at him pleadingly. Although she was overwhelmed by how her life had changed in such a short time, now that her childhood hero was saying his farewell, she didn't want to let him go. She wanted to shout at him to stay a little longer, but her new position prevented it.

"When everything is calmer, I will return to visit. I will be making sure everything goes well," he assured, before crossing the Gate, followed by his children.

In his last words, he seemed to say that he was protecting the kingdom, but it was also a veiled threat. He came to say that Eldi Hnefa was vigilant, and would act against anyone who broke their promises.

Those words were more powerful than even having kept the crown, or having been appointed minister. There is nothing more fearsome than a threat in the shadows, which can't be seen or touched, and which can come from any place at any time.

That would intimidate any attempt to ignore the oaths, even to delay their obligations, or so they hoped. It was what they had decided together, what seemed to them like the best solution.

Those present watched as the Gate disappeared, with deep bows, almost all of them with more than sincere respect.

However, there was much to do. They had to prepare a coronation, and clean up the consequences of the battle. There was a need to address how to manage the lands and families of the nobles who had died. Also, they had to decide what to do with the prisoners, both those who hadn't died in battle, and those who had been kept busy by the rebels. Of course, there was the question of how to reward said rebels.

Everything seemed like a strange dream, in which the kingdom had changed abruptly. For now, only a few knew it, but soon the entire nation would echo it, and so would the neighboring kingdoms. Luckily, the words of Merlin and Gjaki would serve as a deterrent, and even the mysterious figure of Eldi Hnefa.

Curiously, a certain reptilian empire would send important representatives to the coronation, despite not having direct dealings with Engenak. They weren't neighbors, but they were friends of Gjaki and Eldi. Therefore, their presence was a more than welcome gesture of friendship.

Hnefi barely flinched when Eldi disappeared. In fact, the spirit's presence suddenly vanished, and it appeared in a secret room inside Ted's shop.

"Hnefi!" Lidia, who until then had held back, hugged it.

It may have been intangible, but that didn't stop her from making the gesture.

"Hello, little one," Liodon caressed it with affection and familiarity, although he only felt a certain tickling.

In the past, they had often come to see it, secretly. The guardian spirit had always greeted them with enthusiasm, and now was no exception.

Shortly after, Goldmi, Elendnas, Ted and Mideltya arrived. A certain feline and a certain kraken would arrive a bit later through Always With You. Of course, the latter would Shrink before travelling.

"God, you've scared us. Why have you been floating? How has nothing happened to you?" Goldmi asked, while hugging him.

"The book has protected him in some way," Liodon explained. "You could've told us before! You don't know how much you've worried us..."

"Sorry, I didn't know. When I've started reading, I couldn't stop or move, and its power protected me. I wanted to let you know, but I didn't know how," his father apologized.

"Wow, you have a good excuse... You've gotten away this time," Lidia forgave him, half threatening and half mocking.

""Ha, ha, ha,"" the rest laughed.

No doubt, Eldi had scared and worried them, even put them in danger. However, even he had been taken by surprise.

"Where's the book? Can I see it?" Ted asked.

"It's gone," his grandfather shrugged.

"So, you won't be able to use it again?" Mideltya was a little worried.

"If it is required to reclaim the oaths, it will be there one way or another," the battle mage recited.

He didn't quite know how he knew it, but he did.

When Gjaki entered the room, light blue eyes looked at her intensely. The cat demihuman girl wasn't sure if she should be scared or excited, but the vampire's previous words had filled her with hope. She had been terrified for days, and she had clung to those words with all her being. It was the only chance she had of getting out of there.

Gjaki's smile calmed her a little, although the arrival of a second individual made her uneasy again. She didn't know who he was or what he was doing there, but she did know that something had happened in the palace. The maids had stayed in the room, and locked it, scared. It hadn't been until very recently that they had gone out.

When she clearly made out the second individual, she put her hands to her mouth. Quickly, she got up and knelt.

"Stand. I'm here to take you home like Gjaki has asked me to," Merlin ordered and informed her.

Unlike Eldi, the cat mage was more than used to his subjects kneeling before him. It no longer surprised or bothered him, as it had been at the beginning.

She obeyed, as she was looking at him with gratitude and tears in her eyes. There was also gratitude towards the vampiress, who approached her.

"I'm sorry you had to go through this because of me. If you need my help, fill the necklace with mana," she offered.

After saying this, she put a necklace with red gems on the cat demihuman. The young woman allowed her to do, unable to refuse. Nonetheless, she did return the hug when Gjaki wrapped her arms around her. She even started crying again.

The experience had terrified her, but now she knew that the vampiress had never meant to hurt her. Merlin explained that Gjaki had done it to protect her, while she felt overwhelmed in the demihuman's castle. Also, she was terribly embarrassed by the interest of one of the king's grandsons. He was quite handsome.

Although perhaps, what surprised her most were Merlin's words when he said goodbye to her. A carriage would take her to her home.

"Keep that necklace well. Only you can use it, and it is very valuable. Not everyone has the protection of the Blood Queen. Although, it is better if you keep the secret," he revealed.

"The Blood Queen...?" she murmured, amazed.

Who hadn't heard the stories of the Blood Queen? She had a hard time believing that the vampiress was her. However, now that the cat demihuman thought about it, the color of her hair and eyes matched. Furthermore, it was the word of her king.

Feeling overwhelmed and grateful, she pressed the necklace tightly against her blue-gray fur.