Reunion (II)

The Oracle watched them from afar. Eldi had taken them to his beginner's village, so they would have a safe and quiet place to talk. Also, he wanted to make them new custom equipment, which included rings, earrings, necklaces, weapons and potions. Although only secondary weapons. Their main weapons would still be Twin Shadows. Those swords not only had great power, but they were a very special gift from their father.

Liodon was undoubtedly the one who spoke the most. He had a lot to tell his father, a lot to say, dozens of years of stories. Lidia had talked with him months ago, although that didn't stop her from talking for a long time again. As for Eldi, they practically forced him to detail all of his adventures after separating from Lidia, and some from before.

That night, they slept in his tent-castle, to the admiration of Liodon, since Lidia had already been there before. Nevertheless, it took them a while to fall asleep. The three of them, while lying on a large bed, continued talking until late into the night.

The only topic that the two siblings avoided was that of the woman who had taken care of them. As much as they wanted to, they couldn't tell him that she was Melia, nor that she was waiting for him.

"By the way, now that I remember, why didn't you tell me that you had given me a high-ranking identifier?" Eldi asked in an accusatory tone.

They were having breakfast, one table away from the Oracle. They had refused the invitation saying that "the function of the guide is to guide."

"Eh... Didn't I tell you?" Lidia seemed surprised.

"You're not looking me in the eyes," her father accused her again.

"Pfffft" Liodon half suppressed his laughter.

"You wouldn't have accepted it," she admitted, while puffing out her cheeks slightly, and pinching her twin brother under the table.

"Of course not! I'm not a leader of the rebellion!" Eldi complained.

"You're the leader, dad! Everyone's hope! Without you, they wouldn't have the courage to fight, they wouldn't know there's a better way!" she assured passionately, even half standing up. This time, she looked him in the eyes.

"It's true. You taught her that in the past. You taught it to us both when kids. Or don't you want to help us?" Liodon intervened, with the eyes of an abandoned puppy.

"How could I not help? Not only have they broken the promise they made me, but I bear some responsibility. It's just that..." he assured.

Eldi had been thinking about it during those months. He felt that he owed it to the people of Engenak, that he had in a way promised them. No matter it was a game for him back then.

"Just that...?" Lidia was interested.

"I've been away for so many years... I don't deserve to be a leader. Rather, it seems to me that I've abandoned you all for a long time," she confessed.

"No way! Nobody thinks like that! You're a visitor, we all know why you left. The fact that you've returned is a gift that we could only dream of," Liodon contradicted him with passion.

"Just say it, and the people will take up arms after you. They've not forgotten you, they're waiting for you," his daughter assured him.

"It would end in a bloodbath. I can't allow that," the battle mage refused.

"I was just saying... That's only plan D," Lidia stuck out her tongue.

"So... What're the other plans?" Eldi asked curiously.

"I was waiting for you to ask!" his son exclaimed while taking out a map.

"Forgive him, he can't help it. He loves playing with maps," her sister sighed.

"Lid!" he sulked.

The other two laughed, which embarrassed him. Although, he forgot about it when he began to explain each of the plans on the map full of marks.

Leytor leaned on the balcony with both forearms, as he watched the soldiers practice. The Tenakk County Guard Commander sighed once more, wishing he knew what to do.

Many things had changed in the last few months. Eldi Henfa himself, his childhood hero, had appeared and murdered the counts of Tenakk and their children. Without a doubt, they deserved it for their actions, actions that he hadn't known until then. The commander had ignored the rumors, and he had lived in complete ignorance. He still blamed himself for not having done more.

During the following months, Leytor had been extremely busy with the consequences of these acts, and especially the despotic and irresponsible attitude of the deceased counts. He had freed slaves and those unjustly imprisoned. Not a few of them had suffered cruel torture and humiliation.

He had also had to deal with territory management for a while, something the commander wasn't prepared for, and which he had discovered he hated. At least, it had been that way until the relatives of the previous counts had arrived to take possession.

He had considered resisting, but in the end, he hadn't taken that course of action. Leytor knew that if he did so, the royal troops could attack, which would lead to a bloodbath. His own family could suffer the consequences. He preferred to wait and see how they acted.

To his surprise, the new counts had been strangely timid. They hadn't even removed him, or returned to the policies of their predecessors.

Of course, his surprise had subsided after discovering the reason. They were scared, afraid that Eldi Hnefa would come back and ask them for explanations. Therefore, they preferred to leave things as they were, without touching anything, without risking the fury that had killed their relatives.

"Leytor, I'm glad to see you again," he suddenly heard a voice behind him.

He turned around suddenly, stunned. He remembered that voice. The commander didn't believe he would ever forget it.

"Eldi... Hnefa?" he asked when he met the latter's golden eyes and black hair.

In the past, Leytor hadn't seen his features clearly. Now that he saw them, they were really similar to some paintings and statues. His aura didn't seem overly powerful, but the experience of a veteran soldier revealed that the true strength was hidden.

Eldi nodded, though he almost regretted it immediately. The veteran soldier knelt before him. Although he wasn't a member of the rebellion, Eldi Hnefa's authority was even above the queen. Some may have forgotten it, or wanted to forget, but many others still remembered it.