An explanation (I)

The inn was surrounded, but none of the soldiers dared to take the initiative.

It was then that the commander arrived, accompanied by the Alpha squad. They were veterans who only acted when called, something that had only happened a couple of times in the last ten years. The rest of the time, they went about their business. They had no other responsibilities as soldiers than to be fit and available.

The squad had been informed of the situation, so they came full of curiosity. The attitude of that adventuress was strange to say the least, in addition to the identity of the hostages. They weren't very popular with those veteran soldiers, including the sergeant.

What they didn't expect was that, when they got to the door, another group appeared.

"Commander Fonhvor, this's my jurisdiction. What're you doing here?" the rhino commander inquired, coldly.

"Commander Rinak, one of the hostages is my nephew. I've come to help," the other commander replied, just as coldly.

It was evident that their relationship wasn't good. However, military discipline had prevented their confrontations from escalating. In addition to the fact that they had been assigned to different areas of the city, separated from each other. In part, it had been done to avoid problems.

She looked at him annoyed. She could force him to leave, although that would bring more trouble. Although it was her jurisdiction, she had no objective reason not to let him cooperate.

He looked at her. He was keeping his composure on the outside, even though inside he felt chills. Fonhvor didn't openly admit it, but feared, hated and envied that commander. He envied the unconditional support of her troops, who idolized her. He hated her because her presence prevented him from gaining more power. He feared her because he knew how ruthless she could be, whatever the consequences.

"Do what you want. I'm in command. The civilian is your responsibility," she sentenced.

"So be it," he reluctantly accepted, and looked sideways at his sister.

He hated the rhino-commander's arrogant tone, or at least it seemed arrogant to him. In reality, it was simply her rough and direct nature. She disregarded the fake smiles, the political hustle and bustle he was adept at. She considered herself no more than a soldier. A soldier with the rank of commander.

The two commanders entered the tavern, followed by some of their subordinates. There, they met the vampiress, who was watching them without the slightest surprise. She had been keeping an eye on them with a Bat, and had even listened in on their conversation thanks to Sharpen Senses.

Eldi had done the same with Sharpening Senses, while Goldmi had used Auditive Link. The goshawk had perched on the roof, near the entrance, thus allowing the three sisters to listen to the conversation.

It was obvious to all of them that they didn't get along. The most interesting thing was that this Fonhvor was the uncle of their hostage.

"Maybe, he has something to do with what happened to Talto," Goldmi had suggested.

Her two companions agreed, since they had thought the same thing. Immediately after, everyone had turned their gaze to the entrance.

"I'm commander Rinak. What're your intentions? What do you want to free the hostages?" the rino-commander went straight to the point.

Gjaki smiled. The cold and direct attitude of that commander was to her liking. She preferred it to the soft words that could stab at her back. She hated politics, which is why the vampiress had delegated everything related to it. Although she occasionally took advantage of being the Blood Queen, she rarely acted as such.

"My intentions were to visit some friends, until an idiot interrupted us," the vampiress with dyed red hair began, as she pointed to one of the hostages with her eyes.

"My son isn't an idiot! How dare you!" Firont's mother suddenly interrupted.

The commander turned her head towards her, looking at her coldly. Her brother was quick to calm her down, knowing that she was making things difficult.

"Fanhla, calm down, leave it to us. Do it for him," he asked.

She looked at her brother, reticent, although also somewhat intimidated and offended by the commander's gaze. However, she didn't dare challenge her, not even look at her.

"Like mother, like son..." Goldmi sighed.

Fanhla looked at the elf, threatening. She was unaware that Goldmi had provoked her on purpose, after Gjaki nudged her. The merchant could barely contain herself.

"Continue," the commander addressed Gjaki again.

"I have no problem releasing the hostages, but in return, I want an explanation," Gjaki demanded.

"An explanation of what?" Rinak asked, frowning.

There was something off there. That adventuress was too calm, as if she had everything under control, even though the inn was surrounded. Nor did her alleged accomplices seem concerned. Something didn't add up.

"You know, it would be easier if Dilo was here. Can't you call him?" Gjaki changed the subject.

"Dilo?" the confused and somewhat surprised commander asked.

She knew of someone who was called that by those closest to him, although she had never used such a name. Rinak had too much respect for him. She denied to herself, it couldn't be him.

"He was a commander around here a few years ago. Has he retired?" the vampiress asked, somewhat disappointed.

Without him, it would be somewhat more difficult to carry out her plan. She was confident of doing so, but it would take a lot more explaining.

"You mean General Dilonhor?" Rinak asked, incredulous.

At the same time, Fonhvor swallowed nervously. If that adventuress knew the general, everything could get complicated. He would have wanted to attack immediately, even putting his nephew at risk, but he couldn't do it with the rhino-commander there. Fonhvor may be able to deal with her with words or on a political level, but he feared her on the battlefield. Little did he know that there was someone even more dangerous there.

"Oh! Now he's general!? Hurry up, call him. Surely, you have one of those emergency stones," Gjaki suggested.

The commander frowned more if possible. She didn't know if that vampiress was bluffing, or she was telling the truth. However, there was no doubt that she knew the nickname of their general, the existence of the alarms, and she was strangely calm. Nonetheless, she couldn't call him just because that adventuress said so. There was no emergency there.

It was then that one of her underlings stepped forward. He was one of the older ones, and he had been staring at the vampiress for quite some time.

The soldier moved closer to her commander and whispered something in her ear. Her eyes widened, and she looked at Gjaki in disbelief.

The commander didn't hesitate any longer. Without removing it from her pocket, she forcefully squeezed a stone that was there, destroying it. That released an enchantment that surreptitiously sent a subtle fragment of mana in a specific direction.