Rejuvenation Potion

Merlin stood in the doorway of the crafting room, watching Eldi in the distance. His hands were covered in the fur of a demihuman of his species, which prevented the nails of his clenched fists from penetrating his skin. Although his lower lip did bleed again. It had already been cured half a dozen times.

He watched the high human's movements carefully, although he didn't understand their meaning. He had never learned a crafting profession during the game. The sick child he had been by then wanted only to run through the wide plains and lush forests. It was something he couldn't do in the real world.

Now, the mage just wanted to have more time to be with her wife, he couldn't stand the idea of losing her. Merlin had hardly aged, but her race didn't have such longevity.

Sometimes, when he looked in the mirror, he remembered the sad look of his parents. They had always done their best to smile at him, but he now understood how much they had suffered at the inevitable loss of their son, at seeing how his health was inexorably deteriorating. He would have liked to thank them, and tell them not to worry, that he was fine, in another world.

"I hope they overcame it. I don't know if I could..." he said to himself.

He didn't think he could feel more nervous, but when Eldi stood up, Merlin felt a knot in his stomach like he never would have imagined. He watched him carefully inspect the potions Eldi had created. During that process, the feline mage didn't dare to breathe.

It wasn't until Eldi lifted his head, smiled, and gave a thumbs up that Merlin felt enormous relief throughout his body. Maybe, if he hadn't been leaning against the door frame, he wouldn't have been able to stand.

"The only thing left to do is test them. The description says they're just as he expected. For a year, the consumer becomes younger instead of older. These four are for you. The rarest ingredients are those from the dungeons, which should regenerate each year. So, I should be able to make a couple or three a year," the high human explained.

Merlin took the potions with great care, almost devotion, and placed them in his inventory. He then looked at Eldi with deep gratitude.

"I don't know how I can thank you... thank you all. Anything you need, just tell me," he offered.

"We've been friends for a long time. Now, go see her, she's waiting for you," Eldi let him go.

He nodded, his eyes moist, without being able to put what he felt into words. A Gate opened in front of him, and he went through it, but not before looking back at Eldi once more.

As soon as the mage arrived, he crossed the room with quick steps and opened the door.

"Your highness! You are back soon," two royal guards greeted him.

"Any news?" he asked, visibly in a hurry.

"None. The Engenak representative has once again insisted on seeing your highness," one of them reported.

"Good. Tell him that I'll receive him tomorrow," he ordered with a much colder tone than usual.

"Yes, your majesty."

He quickly left, while both guards looked at each other. They didn't know what the representative of Engenak had done, but they recognized that attitude in his majesty. No doubt, he was furious.

They didn't know that, during his visit to the mansion, he had heard the latest events in Engenak, the betrayal of their promise and to Eldi, what the rebels were planning. If anyone believed that he was going to sit idly by while his friend and benefactor might need his help, they didn't know him.

However, he now had a more urgent matter to deal with. He went through the halls, even using magic to increase his speed.

"Dad, have you already come back...? Well, it doesn't matter..." her daughter sighed when her father simply walked by.

She saw where he was going, and sighed again. That situation also tightened her heart, but there was nothing she could do.

Merlin stopped in front of the door to catch his breath, and opened it ever so gently. He entered the brightly lit room, whose large windows let in plenty of sunlight, just the way she liked it. He saw a weak figure sitting in front of one of the windows, looking beyond.

"Honey, you're up," he greeted her sweetly, while approaching her.

"You're back too soon. You should've stayed to lunch," she scolded him weakly, smiling.

It hurt her that he wasted so much time with her, at the same time that it touched her. She loved him, but she knew she had little time left. Lina had an affinity for spiritual powers, and she could glimpse the coming of her own death. The queen knew she didn't have much left, and was deeply worried about her husband. She didn't know how he would react when she was no longer there.

He took her hands and kissed her cheek affectionately. He sat next to her, while staring into those eyes that he had fallen in love with. They could still see through him.

She looked at him curiously. Although weakened, her power allowed her to perceive the aura of people. In addition, she knew every gesture, every expression of her husband. Something had changed in him, for the better. The deep sadness that she could normally sense in him, due to the fear of losing her, was somehow contained.

"Eldi has made this for you. Drink it," he handed her one of the potions.

"But..." she wanted to refuse.

She knew that she didn't have a disease that could be cured. Simply, her time was coming, and it was useless to look for remedies, no matter how miraculous they were. She didn't want her loved ones to continue clinging to a non-existent hope.

"Please," he asked her.

She sighed, and opened the potion. At least, it smelled good, even its taste had a certain sweetness. Although it couldn't be said to be delicious, it wasn't unpleasant.

It was after taking it that her eyes widened. She wasn't feeling better, nor had the weakness in her body disappeared. However, she didn't know how, the shadow of death had somehow been set aside. There was a force pushing it, something that should be totally impossible.

"How? This goes against everything... This potion shouldn't exist, you shouldn't have given it to me," she said, worried.

She knew that the balance couldn't be broken without consequences. There was a reason she had an affinity for spiritual magic. She wasn't worried about what could happen to her, but her husband.

"The Prophet said: 'it can alter the balance of the world. Only those who responded to the call against the calamity and returned are free from that balance, as well as those who accept to share their lives with them'," he revealed, with a smile full of love.

She opened her eyes even wider, while feeling as amazed as relieved. Now, she didn't have to leave them alone anymore.