Skirmishes

"Ricardo!" the queen called him, agitated.

"Yes, your majesty?" he responded, sighing inwardly.

"Have the visitors reinforcements arrived?" she asked.

"Three of them. The last one will arrive any moment. As I have already told you five times," he responded.

Nonetheless, he didn't say the last sentence out loud, but just thought it. He might be her lover, but she was first and foremost the queen. If he irritated her, maybe his head would stop being on his shoulders.

"What about the guards?" the queen asked again.

"Everyone in their positions. They are all loyal, your majesty," he responded, and was tempted to say: "How I've already repeated it a hundred times or more!"

"Good. Nothing can go wrong. Make sure everyone is in their place," she insisted.

"Yes, your majesty," he obeyed, without daring to sigh or respond: "What do you think I've been doing all day!?"

Just as she had come, the queen left. He looked towards the back, where one of the princes was giving orders to several soldiers. This time, he did sigh. He would have to fix the clumsiness of one of the princes again.

Ricardo understood that they wanted to show off, to show that they were capable, that they could participate in this. All the princes wanted to gain the favor of their mother, in their fight for succession. Although, he would have liked them to stay out of it on that occasion. Competent or not, they didn't know the purpose of the different forces.

"You have it difficult," a female voice mocked.

"Hello, Elsa... Are you here to laugh at me?" he responded, frustrated.

"Don't worry, I'm on your side, this is too important for everyone. What about the princess?" she asked.

There wasn't just one princess, but they both knew she meant Kioniha, the queen's youngest daughter.

"She's locked in her room. She won't be able to cause trouble. Do you really want her? She's too idealistic," Ricardo was slightly surprised.

"My son likes her, and despite her character, she's a member of royalty. She's a good catch. My son will just have to learn to tame her," Elsa smiled.

The smile made Ricardo's hair stand on end. Elsa's son was known for his violent tendencies, even against his lovers.

He felt sorry for the princess, whose negative opinion about her fiancée was evident. She had been a happy, kind and considerate girl, even with him, so he felt some sympathy for her. However, her way of thinking made her incompatible with royal politics. In some ways, she was favorable to the line imposed in the past by Eldi Hnefa. It was incomprehensible to him that she was against the absolute power of the nobility, of hers.

"Anyway, let me know when the last visitor arrives. The queen doesn't stop asking," he requested. "Any news about the rebels?"

"Not many. I have to admit that we've underestimated them. No doubt they know we have spies in their ranks, so they plan to exploit any weakness. Whether we like it or not, they'll keep a significant percentage of our forces busy. Are the snipers ready?" she asked.

"Yes, in their positions. He won't be able to protect himself from everyone, especially when he's distracted by the other visitors," the nobleman confirmed.

"Good. Let's see if we're lucky, and some of the other visitors also fall. That way, we'll save some resources. Heh, heh" Elsa laughed.

He nodded without saying what he thought. It was the kingdom, the royal treasure, that could save some resources, not her.

"Does she think she can seize power? Hmm... Maybe she hopes that one of his future grandchildren... It doesn't matter, it's too early for that. There'll be time to worry," he put those thoughts in the back of his mind.

Horns were then heard. The sound of the drums was closer now than when he had last paid attention to it. The moment was approaching.

"The pass is guarded, we won't be able to cross it. How have they known? Shall we withdraw?" the scout asked when she returned to report.

"No. We have orders to enter if possible. If not, we have to keep them busy. How many and who're they? How're they armed?" the leader of the group wanted to know.

"At least a dozen. They're stationed, waiting for us to enter. It's like a funnel. They would kill us one by one. They look like from the royal elite, with medium weapons," the explorer explained.

"You've already heard it! Passing through seems impossible. Let's keep them busy. Kuntka, go with Lojbt and watch the escape routes. The rest, get ready. We start when the horn sounds," she ordered.

"Heh, heh. This's going to be fun," a muscular human warrior boasted, as she mounted her crossbow.

"Will it really sound?" another asked.

"It will. It must happen," the leader assured.

"They're monitoring the sewers. They've accumulated that dirty water... How disgusting... I guess they'll release it if we try to enter through there," the explorer reported.

He hadn't seen it personally, but a contact on the inside had informed him. Several servants had had to help with the preparations the previous days.

"Well, it was to be expected. Whoever manages to make them release the water gets a free drink!" the leader exclaimed.

"It's mine!"

"Do not even dream about it. I'll take care."

"Ha, ha. Finally, some fun."

"There're more sentries than normal, we won't be able to climb the wall," one of the rebels said.

They hoped to have their options during the changing of the guard, or at some moment of distraction. It would be strange if they didn't rest, or not got distracted at any moment. They had even planned some diversions. However, the number of sentries had doubled.

"We'll use the smoke arrows and the hooks," the leader ordered.

"It's suicide! We won't be able to climb up without them seeing us! We won't have time before they clear the smoke!" another rebel contradicted her.

"Who said anything about climbing?" she smiled. "Although, perhaps, we could make them believe... Jilbo, can you create some illusions that are climbing the ropes?"

"I could, but they'll be very crude. The sentries will notice when they get closer."

"Great. Don't let them get too close. Get ready. Stay under cover. If you have a clean shot, fire. Even if we don't kill them, let's see if we hurt a few."

Like them, other rebel commandos surrounded the palace. They seemed to want to get into all the walls, tunnels, side entrances...

There were also some of them throughout the supposed route of Eldi Hnefa, and they had carried out quite a bit of sabotage. Many of the soldiers found their weapons damaged, their uniforms too tight or baggy, their shoes unusually uncomfortable... Some had even returned from their drunkenness a bit "changed."

Many sabotages had been carried out weeks ago, most of which hadn't been discovered until then. In fact, some didn't yet know that the weapons they relied on weren't in the best condition.

It may have only affected a minority of those loyal to the crown, but the risk had been minimal, and every advantage counted. They would do whatever it took to protect their hope. He was the only person who could change the rulers who had turned their backs on the promises of the past and their people.