Rock sloughing

"We can't provide you with shells. Mothers have to invest great power and many nutrients in creating the egg. When the dragon is born, we devour the shell to recover part of it. Though, it wouldn't be a problem to reserve some for you if one were born. Unfortunately, the only one who can be born soon has encountered a problem, for which we need your help," the dragoness explained.

"What can we do to help?" Goldmi asked.

"There was an earthquake when the two parents had left, and the entrance to the cave collapsed. The earthquake has damaged the structure, so if we try to remove the rocks, it could collapse. Their child, the egg, has been inside for a week. If another passes without receiving the care of the parents, it could die. Maybe, you can get to it," the dragoness told them.

They were sitting on her, something that the proud beings very rarely allowed. However, it was the only way to get there in time, to save a member of her race, if it had survived the rock sloughing.

If any more time passed, its parents would have no choice but to enter, but the rest of the cave was likely to collapse. They would survive, but their child wouldn't. Therefore, they would only do it as a last option.

As much as she was proud of her race, the dragoness had to admit that they weren't suited for delicate work. The beings she carried on her back were more suited and much smaller. For them, a small gap was enough to reach the egg.

They landed next to a pair of dragons, who were looking at them anxiously. They had tried to remove the rocks little by little from different sides, but had given up as more fell. Of course, little by little for a dragon is not exactly subtle work.

They had also tried opening another entrance, but the shaking of the walls wherever they tried was proof that it wasn't a good idea. They didn't know what else to do. Therefore, the newcomers were their last hope before taking desperate measures.

Other dragons were also looking at them, curiously, observing from various peaks around them. Word had spread that the Old one herself had gone to welcome the newcomers. That she had brought them was within the foreseeable, although it was still an extraordinary event.

The Old one didn't take them directly to the parents, it wasn't necessary yet. If it didn't turn out well, it would only cause unnecessary pain and trouble. She had explained everything they needed to know. The rest was a matter of fate.

She left them in front of the cave, where rocks of different sizes had accumulated. Some were even as big as the dragoness' head.

They stood watching, while the goshawk took flight. She was small, highly maneuverable and could fly, so she was the one to inspect the sloughing. It was too cold for the Bats to perform their role.

"She has found a place through where I could pass. I'll take a look," the elf declared after a while.

The others reluctantly let her go. They had discussed it before, but she had made an irrefutable argument. While the vampiress could Glide, she could Hover, which was more flexible. Plus, it was easier for the elf to follow her sister's instructions.

There was also the Wind Stairway, that anyone could use for a first ascent. However, the goshawk had discovered more obstacles behind the first wall, and only the elf could summon it.

So, Goldmi set up an Exit Gate, left the kraken in the vampiress's arms, and Hovered to the opening that the goshawk had discovered.

It was a rather narrow opening, even though her sister had said there was plenty of room. Without a doubt, there was a lot of space for the goshawk.

"Ouch!" she complained.

There were sharp, icy edges, which could easily cut her skin. Therefore, she decided to put on gloves. They weren't good for shooting with the bow, but they now protected her hands.

She stopped and stood rigid, not even breathing, when she noticed the unstable ground she was crawling on tremble. There were rocks and piled-up ice, whose stability left much to be desired. Furthermore, it was by no means a straight path. She went up and down, and even had to Hover again before finding her way out.

It was dark outside, except for the little light that filtered through the collapsed roof, and a glow a few meters away. It belonged to a dagger made with Light Blade that the goshawk carried in her claws. That way, the bird could illuminate her surroundings.

She slowly Hovered towards her, next to the lamp that she was controlling, and which illuminated her surroundings. Not only the entrance had collapsed, but also that area a few meters further in.

"I hope the egg is fine," she wished.

It may have been more convenient for their purposes to find the crushed egg, and collect some shell. However, she didn't even want to think about it. Despite not being able to read the dragons' expression, their aura hinted at their desperation, which she could understand perfectly.

Years ago, her daughters had disappeared, which had led both parents to search for them frantically, anxious, scared. They had believed the twins had escaped into the nearby forest and gotten lost, which could be lethal for such young girls.

Finally, they had found them sleeping. The girls had sneaked into Goldmi and Elendnas' room, and climbed onto their bed, on which they had lain. None of the girls had any idea what they had done, how they had made their parents suffer. The twins had simply fallen asleep, adorable, hidden until one of their parents had thought to look there.

It had ended up being an anecdote, but what she had felt hadn't been forgotten. For nothing in the world, she wanted that for those dragons.

The elf finally reached her sister, who had discovered another passage, even narrower than the previous one. She needed to creep, because she couldn't even crawl. Luckily, Slide could be used for more than just skating, which made the journey a little easier. Nonetheless, she wasn't spared several scratches on her face, especially when she accelerated desperately.

"Come quickly! The egg needs help!" her winged sister had warned her.