Messy escape

Outside the cave, the lynx had got up, engulfed in fire, and launched a Fireball at the dragons. They were immune to that attack, but it served to draw their attention.

They reacted instantly. Since the elf had warned them, they had been prepared for any eventuality. They closed their jaws on a grip designed for this, and both parents pulled at the same time.

"AAAAAAAAAAAH!"

"EEEEEEEEEEH!"

"IIIIIIIIIIIIH!"

The three of them screamed while clinging with one hand to the carpet and with the other to the basket that contained the egg. Suddenly and abruptly, the carpet they were on had begun to slide very quickly, pulled by the dragons.

The basket was padded, so the egg was quite protected, but they weren't. They continually hit against the rocks that were on the ground, and against some walls. The worst thing was that they could see how the ceiling was almost falling on them. The sloughings were just a few meters away, and a cloud of dust was also chasing them.

Although they had wanted to put themselves in the worst-case scenario when planning the exit, they had never imagined that the cave would collapse so quickly. This was much more dangerous than they had anticipated.

Luckily, the journey wasn't long. A few hits later, they shot out of the cave together with the carpet.

Gjaki Glided after letting herself fall a few meters, and landed softly. Eldi relied on Weightlessness to keep from crashing into the ground. Goldmi Floated, and began to descend little by little.

The biggest problem was that the egg had also been thrown out. Its parents saw it, but couldn't react fast enough to catch it.

Goldmi put a Mattress at the point of impact, but she wasn't sure if it would be enough. Not only was it the speed and weight of the egg, but she was a little far away to exert the full power of the spell.

Luckily, Eldi noticed it too. Weightlessness failed to stop it, but the spell did slow the egg down enough for the Mattress and the padding of the basket to protect it.

When they landed, they found the parents next to the egg, or at least that's what they thought. It couldn't be seen.

"Is it okay?" Gjaki asked the Old one.

"It was really unexpected and dangerous, but you did it. We, dragons, are indebted to you," the dragoness thanked.

The three of them dropped and rested, exhausted by the adventure, and by the expenditure of mana and energy. Among other spells, there had been many Basic Healings.

Eldi, for example, had relied on Overexertion to increase his defense, plus he had Protected the elf. In the end, he hadn't needed Impregnable, though it had been close. Nonetheless, he had cast Weightlessness on everyone as they were being pulled. Rock Armor had also proven useful in preventing further damage.

Gjaki had applied Harden to herself, and even Contortionism at times to avoid blows that seemed inevitable. She had even tried wrapping herself in a blood Cobweb to cushion the blows, although it hadn't been very effective. Intangible was the last option that in the end she hadn't needed.

Goldmi had fewer resources available, as most of her nature skills were useless there. However, wind spells like Slide or Mattress had been cast several times.

The mother dragon offered to accompany them, while the father took the egg to a safe place to continue caring for it. The two of them had been incubating it for a few hours, until they were sure that it was okay. It had already recovered from the more than ten days of isolation.

Gratitude was evident in both dragons, although it was difficult for them to express, since dragons weren't beings used to thanking. The Old one was an exception, because in her long life, she had seen and experienced many situations.

The mother took them over the mountains to near a precipice, although she didn't approach it.

"Beyond that is rocs' territory. If I get close, there'll be problems. Those ugly little birds are very irritable and territorial," the dragon explained in their minds. "Be careful, it's dangerous."

They nodded, and walked to the cliff, while the mother dragon took flight. There was nothing she could do there except attract trouble. Her guests had Gates to return, and she was eager to be with her child. There wasn't much time left until hatching.

The goshawk took flight, and roamed along the wall of stone and ice. She wasn't afraid of rocs. Although they were large and powerful, she found it easy to dodge them, especially if she flew close to the wall. During the game, while accompanying her sisters, the albino bird had done it more than once, on other peaks where those enormous birds nested. For her, it had been very real.

"My sister says there are several plants that look like the drawing," the elf reported.

"Well, I'll go down and check them." Eldi pulled out a rope.

"Wouldn't it be better if it were me? I weigh less," Gjaki suggested.

"I can Float," Goldmi offered.

"Can anyone identify which ones are more than a hundred years old?" Eldi asked, as he prepared to go down.

They looked at each other, but said nothing. Eldi was right. Thanks to his profession, he was the only one who could guarantee that the flower was valid for the potion.

Gjaki drew her bow, prepared to defend Eldi if necessary. She wasn't on Goldmi's level, but she could help.

Of course, the elf did the same, while the two watched from the edge as the battle mage descended, with the help of Climbing. His skill was to throw a spear with a rope to climb it, but it was also valid only to move along the rope.

"Further to the right," he whispered after a while.

He had reached the first flower, but it was barely 20 years old. The next one was a little further away.

His request reached his companions through the albino bird, which was on the high human's shoulder. They moved the rope in the correct direction, and drove a stake to hold it in position.

"35. Let's see that one below," he said to himself.

"We have company. One is coming this way," the elf suddenly whispered.

They spoke in low voices so as not to attract attention. Despite that, it seemed that they had alerted one of the local inhabitants.