The sacred sword (I)

The patriarch got out of the wagon, and laboriously ascended the small hill. His face showed effort. It meant that he wasn't used to physical exercise, even if it was just a short walk on a path with a bit of slope.

His excessive weight didn't help either. It was the outcome of a mixture of lack of exercise, both physical and magical, and a high-fat diet. His pompous clothes and numerous jewelry weren't the most appropriate either. However, he considered that he had to wear his best clothes for that ritual.

In fact, some voices had criticized so much ostentation, or his luxurious way of life.

"It's my duty as patriarch to accept gifts in the name of the gods," he had defended himself at the time.

Although now, those discordant voices were no longer heard. Some had been exiled to remote provinces. Others had left of their own free will, fled, or were captured or murdered.

Despite being panting, he raised his head proudly. He liked the feeling of being above others, of being adored. At the foot of the hill, thousands of devotees had knelt when he had started to climb.

"Even if Eldi Hnefa himself appears, he'll have to kneel. I'm not going to let him get away with this. I'll make sure he's sacrificed to our gods," he thought, while enjoying the submission of the believers.

The patriarch took a deep breath when he finally reached the top, panting. He took out a handkerchief to wipe the sweat from his forehead, and looked towards the huge sword stuck in it. Even though the patriarch had seen it numerous times, he had to admit that it still amazed him.

On its handle and the visible part of the blade, it was ornamented to the smallest detail. There were hundreds of gems embedded in it, which formed shapes that were still impossible for scholars to decipher today.

"My faithful! Get up! May the divine light illuminate us!" he exclaimed.

While speaking, he imbued mana into the altar where the sword was stuck. In this way, the mana passed to the sword, and a lavish spectacle of light and color was manifested. However, this time, nothing happened.

He was panicking, and adding more and more mana, but nothing was happening. He had done it hundreds of times, and couldn't understand why it didn't work now, precisely at the most important event of the year. Thousands of believers were watching him, somewhat confused.

"The sacred sword does not respond to those who have betrayed our beliefs and our worship, to those who does not fulfill the words of the Prophet, the promise given," a voice accused him.

It belonged to a woman who wore ceremonial clothes. They were like the patriarch's, but much more austere.

"Velkia... What sewer have you come from? What've you done to the sword...!?" he accused her, before reacting solemnly. "That heretic has interfered with the veneration of our gods! Seize her for her offense!"

"Tekrho, Telkrho... You haven't understood anything. I'm not the heretic, I'm not the one who has shamed our gods. It's time for you to pay for your sins," she responded very calmly, but was heard clearly.

No one stood in her way. All who could reach the priestess were clerics who had escaped like her at the time, and had returned for the occasion. There were also certain reinforcements.

The believers didn't know quite what to do, and the sacred guards had been immobilized. Some had even turned out not to be on the patriarch's side.

"Do you dare to rebel? You won't get away with this!" he threatened, despite being terribly scared.

"Me? Make no mistake, I'm just a witness. It's to him that you must give explanations," she pointed in a certain direction, relieved. He had taken longer than she expected to appear.

The patriarch couldn't help but look in that direction. A single silhouette was approaching, with black hair and golden eyes. Fear made his legs give way, thus preventing him from standing.

"So many people?" Eldi was surprised.

"The sacred sword that you left on the hill is one of the most important relics," Liodon explained.

"That sword..." Eldi sighed, overwhelmed.

"Yes, of course. Why? Didn't you leave it there for that?" Lidia was surprised.

Eldi sighed again, as he looked with mixed feelings towards the top of the hill and the sword. The corrupt patriarch was climbing up the hill.

"Look at him. It must be the only time a year he exercises," Ted mocked. He had his face covered like his beloved.

"Pffft," Mideltya held back her laughter. "Silly..."

"Do you know what's so special about that sword?" Eldi asked.

"That it's sacred?"

"It's power?"

"That it's a divine object?"

The high human smiled sourly at the answers. Without a doubt, this was his fault.

"Nothing, there's nothing special about it," he revealed.

The four of them looked at him, not understanding what he meant. How could there be nothing special about the sacred sword, one of the most prominent objects of worship?

He sighed again. The responsibility was his, although also the circumstances. In the game, everything had been confusing, and it wasn't supposed to be real.

"In the past, I wanted to create a sword that was as ornate as possible, to see what I could make. Also, I added some extra useless features to test them. That's why it can't be removed from there, and that's why it produces those lights. It was just a test, a prototype, and partly a joke," he revealed.

The four of them looked at him dumbfounded, not knowing what to say for a few moments.

"A joke? But... So... Why did you leave it there?" Liodon asked, bewildered.

"Back then, everything was a bit confusing for me. I had to use something to complete a mission, and that sword was of no use to me. So, it seemed like a good choice. I never thought it would come to this..." he lamented.

They remained silent for a while longer. Lidia was the first to break it.

"Ha, ha, ha. Dad is the best. Ha, ha, ha. Only you can turn a useless sword into a sacred one. Ha, ha."

"Don't laugh... It's serious... Pffft... It's just... Ha, ha, ha," Liodon also laughed

It didn't take long for Ted and Mideltya to become infected with laughter, and even Eldi. Meanwhile, other members of the rebellion who were a little further away didn't understand anything.

"Ha, ha... I can't take it anymore... Dad, get ready, he's already saying the words."

"Don't worry. I have control of the sword, it's still mine. You'll see what face he makes... Ha, ha, ha," Eldi exploded again. He hadn't completely calmed down.

"Stop, dad... Ha, ha," Liodon begged him.

It took them a bit to calm down, which delayed him a bit. Eldi even relied on Lion's Heart and Balance to stand up and maintain his composure before starting to walk. In fact, he ended up casting Inspire for the rest. They had a mission to accomplish, and there could be unforeseen events.