Visits

The countess looked out the window, from which her domain could be seen. Her soldiers were practicing at the training ground. The streets of the city could be seen packed with people, at a time of great activity. Beyond the gates of the wall, some carts could be seen coming or going to sell their products. It was a day like any other, but that didn't ease her worry.

She felt proud to continue fulfilling her great-grandparents' promise to Eldi Hnefa, but she also knew that by doing so she earned the distrust of powerful forces.

Her side was made up of nobles who, like her, continued to keep her promises, or simply governed their lands without having to impose their authority by force.

The biggest problem was that they were increasingly pressured. Despite their protests, more and more taxes were demanded. That would force them to raise it for ordinary people, which would be counterproductive in the long run. If their subjects were squeezed with taxes, trade would be reduced, and many businesses wouldn't be viable. In the long run, that would mean less taxes as well.

They had an alternative solution, to go over to the other faction, the one that proposed to erase all traces of that old promise. That faction wanted to give absolute authority to the kings and nobles. She knew that if she gave in, the pressure would be relieved, that's why their opponents were doing it. However, she would also be betraying her ancestors and everything her parents had taught her.

The other alternative was an insurrection, for all of them to rebel against the power of the royal house and related nobles. That would mean a civil war, lots of death and misery, and she wasn't even sure they could win. She didn't like any of the options.

"Hi, Gila, nice view," her thoughts were interrupted by a female voice.

"Lidia! I told you not to come if it wasn't life or death! You know it's dangerous, there're spies!" the countess almost panicked.

"How unwelcoming... I came because it's important," Lidia complained.

"What's so important for you to have come in person?" the countess asked, suspicious.

"I wanted to introduce you to someone," Lidia smiled.

Gilandia was left without knowing what to say. She didn't quite understand what that was about. She then looked more closely at the two hooded figures who were next to Lidia. They were uncovering their faces.

It didn't take long for her to recognize the first one, since it wasn't the first time she had seen Liodon. It took her a little longer to recognize the second one, to place her hand in front of her open mouth, totally petrified.

"My lord..." she knelt as soon as she was able to react.

"Stand up," Eldi ordered her. "We have a lot to talk. I'm glad to meet you, my children have told me about you."

He still wasn't used to them kneeling in front of him, although he was no longer surprised. It had happened a lot in the last few hours.

They had been using the rebels' network of fixed gates to go from one noble to another, to visit all from the 'Eldi faction'. He took the opportunity each time to place an Exit Gate nearby, and brought her children with his own Gate. Using the other had a cost that wasn't necessary to pay.

Finally, after a short conversation, they headed to their last destination. Perhaps, it was the one that Eldi longed for most

"Mideltya, can you stay here for a moment? I have to go to the back room. I think the black package must be there," Ted asked.

"Sure," the elf smiled. It made the young man's heart beat harder for a moment.

They were in his shop, which was often managed by the elf, since he traveled a lot. It was supposed to be for business, but they both knew the truth.

Although almost all the neighbors considered them a couple, the truth is that neither of them had confessed to the other. They loved each other, and they both knew it, but there were certain family problems. He was a half-elf, and she was the daughter of a family of noble lineage, which didn't welcome marriage. While his father was acceptable, a respectable elf, his mother was a mere human, or so her parents believed.

She was with him despite her parents' misgivings, but she didn't want to take the step yet. She hoped of convincing them, now more than ever.

He understood her hesitation. Her marriage could mean breaking ties with her family, something he knew would hurt her.

She watched him go, somewhat uneasy. The "black package" meant that someone had arrived, possibly her "mother-in-law." She got along well with her, but she knew her presence was dangerous. Like her lover, his mother was a member of the resistance. Unlike him, she was known. Many posters with her face were hanging on the walls.

Ted closed the warehouse door behind him, activated the barrier, moved a couple of boxes out of the way, and opened the camouflaged door. It closed behind him, thus once again hiding the entrance. He then walked a few meters until reaching a wall, turned to the right and opened a new hidden door.

"Hello, little one!" his mother immediately hugged him

"Mom..." he wanted to complain about the way she addressed him. However, he had missed her too.

"Hello, little one," Liodon also greeted him, while laughing and ruffling his nephew's hair with his hand.

"Uncle! You've come too!" Ted was happy.

"There's also someone else," his mother whispered, mysteriously.

"Someone else?" her son asked curiously.

Lidia released him and moved away, to reveal the third person who had arrived. Ted opened his mouth wide, amazed, but he didn't say anything.

"Hi, Ted. I'm glad to finally meet you. Your mother has told me a lot about her little one," Eldi greeted, smiling, more excited than he seemed.

Ted wanted to complain that he called him that too, but he was too shocked. His mother and his uncle had told him a lot about his grandfather, in addition to all the stories that circulated around Engenak. He had always wanted to meet him.

"It... It's an honor..." he managed to articulate a few words.

He didn't know whether to kneel, whether to bow, but his grandfather didn't give him the chance. Eldi took him by both hands, and looked into his eyes with a smile.

"You look like your mother, although you also have Melingor's hair. Don't talk to me so formally, please, we are family," he asked.

"Ah... yes... this... Grandpa?" he said, hesitant.

"You can call me Grandpa, or Eldi, or whatever you prefer. I'm sorry I wasn't here when you were a kid. I'm sorry it took me so long," Eldi apologized.

"You don't have to apologize. It's not..." Ted felt overwhelmed.

"Shhh. Take the opportunity to ask him for something. It's your grandad. He should give you some gift," his mother advised with a laugh.

"You're a bad influence," Liodon reproached her.

Eldi and his two children burst into laughter, which Ted ended up joining. He felt a little overwhelmed, but the familiarity of his mother and uncle would soon completely melt the ice.