Battle on the cliff (II)

Perhaps influenced by her sister's precision, perhaps thanks to the experience of her own many battles, the roc ended up crashing against the ledge. It was right where the goshawk wanted it.

Although the force of the impact had also pushed her back, there was only air behind the albino bird. She soon regained control of her flight, and approached her enemy. She had already returned to her usual size.

The goshawk stayed flying around it, in circles at high speed. When the shambling roc managed to regain its balance and stand, it found her stalking it over its head.

The roc felt humiliated and furious, but it didn't dare to take flight, to try to attack her. It knew that it was at a distinct disadvantage. Not only was the big bird bruised, but it was grounded. Taking off and gaining speed took time, and during that maneuver, it was especially vulnerable. As soon as the roc tried, that little bird could attack before it gained speed.

If in the collision with the two in the air it had already received the brunt, under these conditions the result would be even worse. As if that weren't enough, several arrows had stuck around it, which seemed impossible.

Despite its fury, it understood that this was a warning, perhaps the last. The power of those arrows was evident, and they had even embedded themselves in the hard rock of the ledge, something that made it feel chills. Until now, none of the arrows that had attacked the big bird had possessed such a power.

Although frustrated, it didn't move, and focused on recovering. The roc also promised itself not to say a word about that confrontation. The rest of the rocs were already accusing it of being reckless.

It had always countered by accusing them of being cowards, but now it wasn't so sure. The arrows and the bird flying over it were clearly telling that they could have killed it. The reason was as simple as having underestimated its opponents, as having believed that it had no rival. Without a doubt, it had been a painful cure of humility.

Meanwhile, Eldi was still looking for a suitable edelweiss. Although hanging on a rope, at no time had he feared for his life. On the one hand, he trusted his companions. On the other hand, an event as cliché as the rope breaking was practically impossible. That wasn't just any rope.

Furthermore, he had the resources to escape the fall unscathed. He could rely on Climbing to throw a spear and a rope, and hold on to it. In the worst case, with Weightlessness, the battle mage would avoid crashing on the ground. Once he landed, he would only have to go through a Gate to get back. In case it was necessary, he had created one near his companions.

"That's it!" he exclaimed suddenly.

He approached a flower with black petals different from the others. Its brilliance was more than noticeable because of the dense mana that ran through it, which differentiated it from the others. It was one hundred and twenty-six years old, more than enough.

"If I had known it was so striking, Goshi could have found it much sooner," he lamented.

Goshi was what they called the goshawk, as well as Lyni the lynx or Kraki the kraken. They hadn't complained, and it was easier for everyone that way. The only one who rarely called them that was Goldmi. She communicated directly with them, and they could know who she was talking to without needing names. No matter how much they simply called each other "sister," they always knew which sister they were referring to.

He dissipated the Burning Aura so as not to damage the flower. His level and his clothes were enough to withstand the cold for a while, although he could feel it.

With great care, he took out a container and a long needle, which he inserted into the flower while trying not to damage it. A dark powder stuck to the needle, which he then shook into the container.

He smiled. That was enough, he didn't need the whole flower, and he didn't want to damage it. If there was one thing he wanted, it was to study it. A flower more than a hundred years old was something inconceivable to him. On his homeworld, the flowers bloomed for a few days, to be pollinated and create fruits or seeds. Although, to tell the truth, it wasn't a field in which he specialized. He didn't know if there were exceptions, if there were flowers that lasted longer.

After collecting the pollen and putting it in his inventory, he raised his arm. That was the signal they had all been waiting for.

"Sister, he's asking that you bring him up," the goshawk warned. She was looking at Eldi with one eye, and at the roc with the other.

"It's about time!" the vampiress exclaimed when the elf told her.

Without waiting for her friend to help her, she pulled hard on the rope. Gjaki had plenty of strength to lift Eldi, as she was level 100.

"You could be less abrupt..." the high human complained a few moments later. He had been thrown over them, and had crashed into the stone wall several times.

"Ha, ha. You ask for the impossible. You know how she is," the elf laughed.

"You're not criticizing me, right?" the vampiress looked at her friend, suspicious.

"Meee? I'd never do something like that!" Goldmi assured, although she didn't sound very convincing.

While talking, she watched vigilantly and with hostility at the enormous roc that was flying away, humiliated. She also received with a big smile her winged sister, who perched proudly on her shoulder.

"Presumptuous," the feline criticized her.

"Well done!" the kraken congratulated her enthusiastically.

"Are we only missing the shell?" Goldmi asked.

"Yeah. We'll have to wait," Eldi responded.

"It's almost there. Thank you all so much... I..." the elf was unable to finish the sentence.

Her two companions hugged her, while her tears didn't stop flowing from her elven eyes. As she spoke, and relaxed her vigilance as the roc moved away, her emotions had exploded unexpectedly. It had even taken herself by surprise.

For years, she had dreamed of the moment when her loved one could be cured. Even though he hid it, she could see in his eyes how he felt because his body didn't always respond to him. The feeling of helplessness at not being able to trust himself to protect his daughters, or fight alongside his wife.

Having so close what until not so long ago had seemed impossible had made her repressed emotions explode.

They waited for her to calm down before returning to their homes. The egg still needed some time to hatch.