Yes, my commander

After escaping from the inn, the thug had rushed to tip off the sergeant they normally did business with. Whether it was to oppress adversaries or smuggling, they just had to pay him enough. For more important matters, Firont's parents had other contacts.

He had believed that, by borrowing the name of the city guard, the matter would be easily settled. It had been impossible for him to imagine that the outsider wouldn't even hesitate to retain the sergeant. She had even dared to arrogantly claim for someone of higher authority.

"She's digging her own grave," he thought.

Anyway, he had no time for useless thoughts. The thug ran off to tell his employer, Firont's mother.

At the same time, a group of soldiers was running towards the base to report to their superiors. The situation had gotten out of hand, they were unable to resolve it on their own.

Normally, no adventurer, no matter how powerful, dared to face the city guard. They knew that there were in their ranks an elite of powerful veteran soldiers they couldn't face. Now, it was the time to call said elite.

Perhaps, they didn't like to do so, since they were to some extent stained by the dealings of their sergeant. However, as events had evolved, they had no other choice. They were powerless to do anything about it, and sooner or later it would be known. Better at least not be accused of not doing their duty this time.

While this was happening, Gjaki waited with an amused smile on her lips. Although it didn't last long. This time, luck wasn't on her side, and she lost miserably at the card match.

"My commander! It's an emergency!" the assistant burst into the office of his superior.

The middle-aged rhino-woman looked up from the documents she was reviewing, frowning. A deep scar could be seen on her skin traversing one of her eyes, the result of the wound that had left her one-eyed. When her eye had been restored, she had refused to have said scar removed. That way, she could remember her mistake.

The woman didn't know if she was more annoyed by being interrupted, or by what she'd been reviewing. There was something off with the numbers and the reports, but she couldn't quite figure out what. That frustrated her.

"What's wrong, lieutenant?" she asked coldly.

The penetrating gaze of his superior always intimidated him. Despite this, he stood steady the best he could.

"There's been an altercation at an inn. When a patrol has arrived, the sergeant in charge has been captured. They're high level adventurers. I have a witness," he reported.

"Let them in," she ordered, frowning deeper.

Such an incident was extremely unusual. All the adventurers were careful not to act freely in the city, as they ran the risk of being denied entry to the city, and therefore to the dungeon. It could be worse if they had committed a blood crime and were arrested. As powerful as they were, they were no match for a group of elite veteran soldiers.

"My commander," the newcomer greeted, visibly nervous.

"Explain the situation."

"We were informed of the existence of a fight and a kidnapping. When we arrived, we found five immobilized citizens, and we demanded that the attackers surrender. An adventuress captured the sergeant with a whip without a word, and tied him up. She demanded the presence of someone with higher authority, my commander," the soldier reported.

She looked at him questioningly. That soldier was even more nervous than usual. Furthermore, the attitude of that adventuress was highly unusual.

"Names of the captured citizens, of the adventurers, of the sergeant, identification of the patrol, place of the event," she demanded.

He knew from the beginning that this information would come out sooner or later, so he didn't hide anything.

"We know that the citizens are Firont, of the house of Fornh, and some of his employees. We don't know the identity of the adventurers. Our patrol is the fourteen. It's commanded by Sergeant Logor, who's been captured. The place is the inn of the Mysterious Lady," the soldier informed.

The commander's surprise didn't show on her face. Precisely, that patrol were in the investigations. Although, for now, he had no concrete evidence.

"Lieutenant, let Alpha squad go immediately to the blood courtyard. They wait for me there. You two are coming too," she ordered.

"Yes, my commander," they both answered, even though the soldier would have preferred to avoid that situation.

"You have to do something! They have my son! Your nephew!" the woman demanded.

Normally the commander was arrogant, unapproachable, solemn. However, he couldn't show himself like that to his sister. She knew many of his secrets, and had used her influence to help him reach that position. She had done it partly because he was her brother, but mostly to gain even more influence.

"He always has to get into trouble..." the commander sighed.

In fact, a few hours ago, he had been forced to accuse a citizen of insults and temporarily detain him, at the request of his nephew. He hadn't been able to refuse, and the procedure had been undoubtedly somewhat irregular. Although they had only held him under the excuse of interrogating him, he knew that rumors would surface. They weren't a big problem, but they would be if it happened too often.

At least, he now had a real justification. It was only necessary to meet the request of an exemplary citizen. There was nothing they could accuse him of. At worse, a little favoritism.

"Lieutenant!" he called.

"Yes, my commander?" his assistant rushed to his side.

"Prepare the Beta squad! Tell them to wait for me in the Liberation courtyard!" he ordered.

"Yes, my commander," he replied, before rushing to comply with the order.

He was somewhat surprised, but just followed orders.

"It looks like they're finally here. It'll be better to pick all up," Gjaki informed.

There were Bats posted at every corner, keeping watch. They had discovered a group of guards approaching.

"What a hurry... Do you have such bad cards?" Goldmi accused her.

"I don't know what you mean, this is serious business!" the vampiress defended herself.

"Sure, sure," the elf sneered.

"Ha, ha. You've never liked to lose," Eldi laughed.

"Stop that nonsense and get ready!" she got up from the table, offended.

Her companions laughed, while Ralko watched the scene without knowing what to say. On one hand, he was overwhelmed that the Blood Queen herself was helping them, that she had even changed his diapers as a baby. On the other hand, her current attitude wasn't very venerable.

His mother just smiled. She might be the Blood Queen, and she might owe her life to her, but the innkeeper couldn't help but be glad that she hadn't changed. She was still the same.