3

Regan sat down, trying to not look at anyone. However, students kept glancing and even staring at her. She didn't know why they couldn't mind their own business and leave her alone.

But this had been going on for so long. Literally everywhere, and she didn't have any better thing to do. People have their own mind and that can't be changed by you or her, most times.

She knew that the looks were disdainful and mocking. She couldn't help but blame her appearance, although she had years that she had stopped worrying over her appearance.

Just when she thought that was finally eating in peace, she noticed a red haired girl coming closer to the table. The girl's eyes pierced through Regan's way, and so she knew the girl was coming there.

Her red hair was long and dyed. She was wearing makeup that made her face look white in powder, lip gloss that coated her lips and white eyeliner. She had a pink top paired with a black miniskirt. Her transparent leggings, printed with black and pink hearts, added contrast to her outfit. Her black shiny heel boots made her look taller than she already was. There were two other girls behind her, both giving the same vibe.

This school doesn't even have dress code, Regan thought. She was grateful that no one said a thing about the knee ripped jeans she wore, even though they wasn't very noticeable.

"Hey, so you're the new weirdo I've heard about, right?" the red haired teased with a mischievous smirk.

Regan rolled her eyes at the nickname. A lot of people have called her a weirdo. But today was her first day, and she didn't expect the jokes and taunts that fast.

Her anger rose at the thought.

"Yes, why?" she replied shortly with a cold voice showing disinterest.

"So, you're agreeing that you're a weirdo?"
she said again with her dumb fake voice.
"I'd do the same if I had such a signature scar in my face," she said now with a louder and mocking voice which got the attention from other students and some started laughing and chuckling at her remarks.

"And? What's your problem?" Regan hissed.

"Problem? What kind of problem could I have with a nerd like you? You are stupid and you're ugly. You're not fit here and should be grateful you're in that school." She mocked and took a sip of her soda.

Regan's blood boiled at her words, and her fists clenched. She saw how everyone was watching the theater. From their faces she could straightly see the mockery.

"Do I owe anything to you?" Regan snapped, "Who are you? No one! You come here and tell me what to do? Just mind your own damn business and you'll be good."

The crowd from the cafeteria gasped. The other's expression darkened.

Regan quickly felt insecure, wishing that she could have stayed quiet like always or to not have come in the cafeteria at all. But the fact of being insulted didn't get along with her pride.

"How dare you?!" the meanie hissed with an annoying high-pitched voice, "Do you know who I am?"

"Who the hell cares who you are?"

"Look there you idiot, I so easily can expel you from here, and you won't be able to do anything about it! Understood?"

"Yeah, yeah, I've been hearing that a lot. Now, get out of my sight. Or better, I'll get you out of my sight." And with that, Regan stood and headed out of the cafeteria. She heard her ranting a bunch of bullshit but didn't care.

She walked outside and thought about eating there. At the same time, she was fuming with anger.

A few people were around, Regan didn't like crowded places, but she didn't like deserted places either.

She sat down at a wooden bench which was under a big tree.

Some footsteps were heard. A girl was coming in her way and when Regan noticed, she was frustrated even more. Why was the girl coming? Was she one of those jerks?

The girl had long brown hair and her bangs were dyed pink. She dressed fancily, with a white long shirt underneath a black corset, tight black pants and black boots that reached her knees. Kind of different, considering most wore ankle boots and sneakers.

Regan let out a tired sigh, and continued to eat like she didn't notice.

"Regan, right? We're in the same class." the girl spoke, her accent weird and unheard.

Regan didn't notice her in the class. Maybe because she wasn't looking at anyone. Maybe because she was trying to escape the haunting eyes.

"Yes?" she replied uncertainly.

"I saw you at cafeteria and-"

"And you're going to make fun of me now."

"No no no no, it was brave of you to show Olivia her place."

Regan didn't consider what she did 'brave'. She thought it like something lame, to fear a specific annoying person, in an educational institute.

"That's not brave. It's just standing up for yourself," she retorted.

The girl dazed a bit, but shook her head.
"My name is Vesper by the way," she said smiling, "nice t-shirt," she said while looking at Regan's t-shirt.

The most apparent thing about that tee shirt, were the words written in bold, "STAY AWAY".

"Nice name." Regain replied, "You have a good fashion sense."

Vesper sat beside Regan, with her food that wasn't noticed earlier. Regan glanced at her, seeing she was trying hard to hide a smile. She kept quiet and didn't say anything for a while.

"You know, do you want to be my friend?" Vesper suddenly asked.

Regan was surprised and confused. No one ever had said that to her. They had just met. Skeptical, she started to contemplate all the possible reasons of why this weird girl would want to be friends with her. Maybe she was weird too, and saw that Regan was weird. But it still made no sense to Regan.

"Well, I don't know what to say, but sure, we can be friends."

"Perfect. Let's exchange phone numbers!" she cheered.

Regan insecurely gave her the phone number, still worrying if she should have.

Lunchtime passed and she talked with Vesper during that time.

What was even more surprising, Vesper's house was in her new neighborhood.

Vesper talked mostly about random things, and told a bit about herself. Apparently, she had an older sister that she hated and chill parents, which she was grateful for. Her parents worked out of the city.

After lunch, Regan had PE which wasn't very amusing. She hated PE and couldn't wait until the class would be finished. It was the end of her first day, and she was already bored to the core. As soon as the bell rang, she saw once more the meanie girl from earlier. That time, she was talking with her puppies and didn't notice Regan.

Vesper told Regan about her, she was a spoiled and popular girl, daughter of the headmaster. Being everyone's favorite, she bullied directly or indirectly, but people still would support her. Thinking that what she does is right, instinctively.

Regan wasn't surprised. Society worked that way.

As the girl walked outside the school, she walked towards the gate with her phone on her hand. She would use the map on the phone, because she didn't want to get lost.

"Reeeegan, where ya going?" a voice called behind her.

"I'm just going home," Regan replied as she turned around to see the girl with pink bangs.

"Well, we can go together! We're neighbors, did you forget?"

"Sure, Vesper, we can go together," she said, trying to sound excited.

Why was she trying? Maybe she didn't feel very excited. Still, she blamed herself for her mistrustful nature. That girl was willing to be her friend and not judge her, but Regan, being Regan, would still find a small thing that seemed off.

However, they walked home together.