13

In the middle of the night, Regan suddenly woke up. She had cold sweats and felt chilly. The dream woke her up again and she cursed the sleeping pill for not keeping her asleep, as what else was it's purpose for?

She reminded herself of how she left her phone on record.

The light on the bedside table was purposely left on earlier by her and she got up from the bed to turn on the main light of the room.

Her eyes adjusted quickly and she grabbed her phone. Little did she know it was off.

"What the hell? How did you turn off?" she muttered, furrowing her eyebrows. She remember very well it was full on battery.

She waited impatiently for it to turn on. The battery wasn't drained at all, so how did the phone turn off? She opened the gallery to not find any videos of recording.

She slammed the phone on the table angrily, and grabbed it again to see the clock. It was half past two.
The room either turned suddenly hot or she was hot, she wasn't sure. She opened the window for some air and leaned against the railing.

Everything was so peaceful. The breeze of the wind made contact with her bare arms, making her feel a little cold. She stayed like this for about five minutes, and then went inside again.

Regan didn't think to sleep, it was the last thing at the moment. She walked out of her room, boringly and cautiously. She didn't want to wake Monica up. As she went downstairs, a sudden sound made her freeze. The bathroom door slammed shut.

First, she thought it was her aunt, but seeing the bathroom's lights were off, she changed her mind. Why would Monica keep the lights off?

She took unsure steps towards the bathroom. She had to say it was night and woke up from some weird dream, so maybe her mind was playing tricks on her. But the sound echoed on her ears, she couldn't have misheard that.

She thought again it could've been Monica. Well, what else was she supposed to think to calm herself down? She changed directions and went upstairs, checking if her aunt was in her room.

She tip-toed upstairs and carefully twisted the doorknob. Then, she saw Monica sleeping in her bed. Her heart raced.

That meant it wasn't her who closed the bathroom's door.

Then how did the door close itself? There weren't any windows open to let the wind in. And as her paranoic and suspicious nature kicked in, she knew it was something she had to figure out.

When she walked downstairs again, the bathroom's door was still closed. The laptop, which was on top of the coffee table, was taken by Regan to be kept in defense. She didn't know what she was thinking. But quickly, fear was engulfing her.

Her heart was pounding on her chest excessively. The beats were very loud in the quiet silence. With a shaky breath, she attempted to steady herself, hoping to dispel the lingering unease.

The scared girl twisted the doorknob with the laptop on the other hand. She pushed the door away then, and turned the lights on without necessarily entering inside; the light key was next to the door.

But as the lights turned on, there was no one inside. She checked behind the door and saw no one. Not any trace, just an ordinary bathroom.

"If there was anyone, they had the chance to leave when you went upstairs," she muttered to herself.

Stepping out of the bathroom, she left the lights on. And as she did, another sound startled her. It was like plates clicking from the kitchen.

Her heart leaped into her throat again. She sprinted to the kitchen, but there was no one or anything suspicious. She felt uncertain and unnerving. Maybe she was hearing things for sure now.