23

The rest of the lesson passed by in a blur. Regan did nothing at all, she continued to act as if she was asleep. She even got scolded by her teacher for that. But she didn't care. She was grateful for the fact that he stopped talking in her head.

A few times, she even took naps during class, her face buried in her arms on the desk. But naps didn't calm her down. She was restless all the time, her mind not in place. She didn't know what to worry first for.

Her aunt picking her up and going in some place, her getting detention, the teacher talking to her aunt or just the whole mess she was in.

The last nap she took was in history lesson. After the bell rang, she had felt someone tugging at her sleeve. She had woken up and had seen all the students were rushing outside, not even Vesper was there. She was panicked but let it be. Either it was his prank or she imagined it. Both were terrifying but now, she hated being scared.

She served her detention by fixing books in the library and by putting genres and works in their right place. It wasn't very tiring after all. Still, the teacher didn't have to bombard her with extra homework.

She sighed and threw her bag on her back, walking out of the school. Knowing she was late, Regan tried to find an excuse for her aunt. She was sure that her aunt was disappointed and obviously angry. She could say she had a headache and didn't pay attention to classes, so she got detention. After all, it wasn't a total lie. She had a headache and she didn't pay attention to classes. But she didn't want to mention the other part.

She spotted Monica's car just when she was outside and entered in.

Monica started riding and didn't say anything.

Regan was surprised of her not saying anything. Really? Nothing? When there was so much to say. She could have asked about the class thingy or if she wasn't aware yet, she could have asked of why Regan was late. She could reprimand her.

Not bearing it anymore, Regan asked, "Where are we going?"

"We'll be there soon, be patient." Monica said after a while.

All this matter was making Regan even more nervous. She started fidgeting with her fingers and looking through the windows. The car passed by houses and trees. The girl didn't know where she was, she hadn't been in that part of city.

The ride went silent until the car stopped in front of a white building. Monica stepped out of the car and so did Regan, puzzled. When she looked up, saw something. Something that shocked her. In a label there read "Psychiatric Center."

Her heart started pounding hard, her breath hitching. She couldn't believe what she was seeing but she instantly understood what was going on.

How could her aunt think that she was crazy?

"Why are we in a psychiatric clinic?" Regan asked, her shaky but also angry.

Monica threw her a look and sighed.

"That's just a psychologist. She's gonna take a look at you and find out what's going on with your mind, Regan," Monica replied with a calm voice.

"There's nothing going on with my mind. I'm not imagining all that. He. is. real!" Regan retorted through gritted teeth.

"No, he is not." Monica replied and took Regan's arm, moving her inside.

They entered from a set of glass doors, inside a chilly hall in white with some rooms with the names of these people who were either psychologists or psychiatrists but by the name of the building itself, they must have been psychiatrists. A few people were walking around here and there, some talking to someone else while others were just walking by. They went to the reception where a lady was sitting behind a desk, talking on the phone.