74

The night's air was cold and dense. It had been that way, but maybe now it was more notable because Regan was running and she was completely out of breath.

She didn't know how much she had run or where she had gone. Before, a few men had followed her and she attacked them, leaving them knocked out.

She had no idea where she was going but she knew she had to stay away from these creepy men and from Sirius as well.

Finally, her steps came to a halt, she couldn't run anymore. Maybe she should breathe first.

The area was unknown although the skyscrapers were always in her sight. She looked around herself and didn't see anyone. She also hadn't felt Sirius's presence in a while and was thankful. However the fact that they were Agnar's men, terrified her even more and she tried to calm herself down.

The road was filled with a low sound, seemingly as if it was coming from a nearby bar. Regan continued to walk, gripping her cloak tightly. She had no defensive weapon except her own powers. She prayed that no one would cross her way again, although she had no idea where to go and what to do.

As she walked further into the road, the buildings were tall and imposing, their windows as if staring at her. They were brightly with neon lights in colors of pink and green. The labels were flashing everywhere with unknown languages and robotic images. Although it was night, the roads were illuminated perfectly.

She continued to walk, having no trace and no plan. Her heart pounded rapidly and she feared what would happen with her.

She remembered of her past actions and cursed herself for not minding her own business as she had done before. The thought that Agnar was a vampire terrified her and she didn't want to hear about him anymore. She didn't know what Sirius did to him but she hoped that Sirius had really gotten rid of him.

She thought about Artemis. If she had stirred trouble upon herself, she did it for her. However, although she was her sister, she didn't even want to be associated with her as well.

A strong wind flew past her and she lowered her hood tightly. She was shivering and the fact that she couldn't help herself made her shiver even more.

She tried to heat up herself using her magic and the unsettling thoughts that swirled in mind made her blood boil.

Sirius's words haunted her mind and made her furious. She remembered how he had said she was his and she also remembered how Agnar had supposedly done the same. She didn't want to be anyone's. She hated them both, however her temples hurt when she thought about Sirius.

Suddenly, she started to feel weird and remembered how she had escaped. She had left him behind and felt guilty. She didn't know for what she felt guilty, maybe because although cruel, he was the one who freed her from the fortress. Even though he was kidnapping her at the same time. She had no idea why she felt this way but she couldn't help it.

"No," she mumbled at herself and cursed herself for thinking that way. She recalled everything he had done, he had destroyed her origins and he had messed up with her mind. He had made her feel this way and she hated him for it. She didn't want to be anyone's, she wanted to be free and find her parents.

The wind grew stronger, blowing her hood and hair away from her face. The cold air made her shiver even more. She pulled the hood back and lowered it down.

She hoped she had a mask but she didn't have one. Looking around the place, all she saw were bars and clubs. She loathed these places, they disgusted her and she didn't want to risk getting kidnapped by someone else. If that was what was meant to be, she'd rather be kidnapped by Sirius again.

The alley grew narrower and she felt as if suffocating. She remembered if she was left with anyone who would help her but she didn't have anyone. Her aunt was on earth and had no idea of this. Her parents were disappeared, her sister was indifferent, her friends were nonexistent, and she had only enemies.

She couldn't help but feel desperate and alone. Trying to calm herself down and to think of a plan, nothing came to her mind. She didn't want to die. She didn't want to be a vampire's slave. She wanted her life back, her old life.

As she stopped walking, she leaned against a building's wall. She was tired and hopeless. She tried to bring back the strength and vowed that if she'd see any of other Agnar's men or just other men who'd try to get her, she'd kill them all and forget about remorse. She'd make sure they all paid for what they did. She closed her eyes and tried to think about something else, anything else.

She thought about her mentor, Seraphina. The wise woman. She had helped and advised her so many times. But Regan felt even more helpless. Seraphina was in another realm that was just unreachable.

Who would even help her? Who she was after all? For the North, she was someone raised by the wolves. For Earth, she was a mundane human. For Artemis, she was a troublemaker sister. For Sirius, she was his enemy and a princess who had unfortunately survived.

She felt alone. She still believed in God and knew that there was a way for her to survive. She needed to find it herself, she had to fill her determination up. Maybe she was dragged into this world without her wish, but she could choose how to live in it. She could fight. She could survive. She had to. She had to find her parents.

Straightening up, she continued to walk. Then, another sharp thought hit her. She was in a kingdom. A kingdom of vampires. And she was probably on the search.

What if a mass of soldiers or cops would cross her path and then catch her? She had powers but she felt powerless. Maybe her appearance was shown on the news, maybe everyone knew about her now, although she had told her name was Cornelia.

As time passed, she kept wandering or just stopping, sitting on some neon colored chairs outside of a club, or leaning against some building's walls, feeling the cold air sweep through her clothes. She had been walking for hours, it felt like. Having no idea where she was going, she only knew she had to get away from everyone.

And then, just then, she saw a shadow on the other side of the alley. She grew extremely alarmed as she pressed herself on the neon walls, hoping they'd engulf her in. The shadow came closer and it revealed someone with a hood. She didn't know if it was male of female, however it wasn't very big in frame. She swallowed nervously, feeling her heart pounding crazily. Finally she saw the face of the stranger and it was a girl, a girl she knew.