06

On the movie set, the atmosphere was charged with tension as Alexandra Heroux, playing the role of the first female F1 driver - Roxanne Blackwood - prepared for a pivotal scene

On the movie set, the atmosphere was charged with tension as Alexandra Heroux, playing the role of the first female F1 driver - Roxanne Blackwood - prepared for a pivotal scene. Her character, who was under immense pressure and facing backlash and hate comments from the press and fans, was about to have an emotional breakdown in front of her team.

Alexandra hadn't been sleeping very well lately and was throwing herself into her work. Her close friends had begun to notice that the bags under her eyes were getting harder to cover with makeup, and she'd barely spoken to her new Formula 1 friends since the Austrian after-party. 

Between filming for up to sixteen hours a day, and then completing her training with her trainer for the next race, Alexandra was struggling to find the time to wind down. She'd stopped spending time with her fellow cast mates and friends, and instead was hiding away in her trailer in between scenes.

Andrew Garfield, who portrayed her teammate in the film - Max Thompson, watched with concern as Alexandra's eyes reflected the weight of her character's struggles. He could see that she was immersing herself deeply into the role, drawing from her own experiences to bring authenticity to the character's emotions.

Robert Downey Jr., playing the role of the team principal - Otto Heinrich, approached Alexandra before the scene, his eyes filled with empathy. "How are you doing, Kiddo?" he asked, patting her on the back. 

Stifling a yawn, Alexandra sent him a gentle smile. "I'm hanging in there. What about you?" 

Robert shrugged. "Same old, I mean, my hotel room is next to Tom and Z's so it's not the quietest." he gave her a cheeky grin as he raised his eyebrows. "But kids will be kids." 

Alexandra laughed. "Do you want to swap rooms? I'm rarely at mine anyway." she shrugged. "Plus, I'm so tired I think I could sleep through a nuclear winter."

"You're working yourself to the bone." Robert scolded gently. "Make sure you're taking care of yourself Lex...I don't want to see you crumble again."

Of course, he was referencing her time on set in The Avengers, where she volunteered to do the stunts of all the leading ladies - including those of her own character. For the first few weeks, she'd handled it well, and eventually, the exhaustion crept in, and much like her character in this movie, Alexandra suffered burnout. 

There's been an explosive stunt on set one day, and due to her tiredness, Alexandra had missed her cue, resulting in a nasty and scary hospital trip for a head injury.  After that, she was scaled back on some of her stunt duties, and the Russo brothers ensured that she was getting enough food, water, and sleep each day. 

"I'm fine," she said through gritted teeth. "I wish people would stop bringing that up-,"

Robert raised his hands in surrender. "Just looking out for you, Lex." he sighed. "I know you're a perfectionist - it's one of your best qualities - but just please be sensible." he nudged her playfully. "Jon's got his eye on you."