84

Four days had passed since that fateful visit to the prison, and back in Monaco, the specter of depression had enveloped Alexandra

Four days had passed since that fateful visit to the prison, and back in Monaco, the specter of depression had enveloped Alexandra. She remained trapped in her own world of despair, unable to summon the strength to get out of bed, let alone eat or drink. Her spirit had been crushed, and it seemed like there was no way to reach her.

Charles had been tirelessly caring for her during this time, doing his best to provide comfort and support. The presence of a strong support system had been a lifeline for them both.

Daniel and Max had come to sit in somber silence with Alexandra, allowing Charles to attend a crucial meeting in Maranello.

Pascale and Emily had taken turns preparing meals, though Alexandra's appetite had vanished completely.

Charles had even carried her into the shower at one point, both of them standing under the flowing water. Yet, Alexandra remained empty, her will to fight seemingly drained away.

She knew deep down that she could rise from this abyss, that she could find the strength to fight her depression. But right now, she simply didn't want to. It was easier to surrender, to hide from the world and its relentless cruelty.

Amid the turmoil, concerned voices reached out to Alexandra. Sebastian had called repeatedly to check on her, even going so far as to threaten to fly over from Germany to be by her side. Christian and Toto had echoed this concern with their own calls.

Daniel had chosen to stay in Monaco with Max indefinitely, and thanks to Arthur and Lorenzo, Charles' apartment was now fortified with the latest and most advanced security systems, a precaution in case Jackson managed to secure his release and posed a threat to their safety.

Charles sat beside Alexandra, the dim room casting long shadows on the walls as she lay silently in bed, her eyes fixed on nothing, seemingly lost in a catatonic state. The toll of these trying days showed in the tired circles under Charles's eyes, but he continued to read aloud to her.

The book in his hands was "It's Kind of a Funny Story," an ironic choice given their current circumstances, but he read it aloud just as they always did.

As Charles read, Alexandra struggled to focus, to anchor herself in the present moment, hoping that the words of the book could serve as a lifeline for her spiraling mind. Among the lines he recited, several seemed to resonate with the darkness she felt:

"People are screwed up in this world. I'd rather be with someone screwed up and open about it than somebody perfect but ready to explode."

"Sometimes I think depression's one way of coping with the world. Some people get drunk, some do drugs, some people get depressed. Because there's so much stuff out there that you have to do something to deal with it."

"Life can't be cured, but it can be managed."

"The shift is coming. The shift has to be coming because if you keep living like this, you'll die."