17

Lexi sat patiently in the vibrant Ferrari garage, her mind drifting between the hum of engines and thoughts of her gloomy day

Lexi sat patiently in the vibrant Ferrari garage, her mind drifting between the hum of engines and thoughts of her gloomy day. Suddenly, Charles emerged with a single cupcake, a warm smile adorning his face. Placing it in front of her, he lit the candle and urged her to make a wish.

The sight of Charles' warm smile instantly lifted her spirits. He carefully placed the cupcake in front of her, creating a small oasis of sweetness amidst the chaos. "You know, someone once told me that when you have a bad day, the best thing you can do is make a wish," Charles said gently, his voice filled with empathy. "And you've had a lifetimes worth of bad days." He switched to English, his tone sad as he looked at her through his eyelashes.

She smiled up at him sadly, but her heart was pounding. He'd not only remembered the tradition that they'd set after his DNF in Austria, but he'd also gone to the lengths of trying to make her feel better, and remind her of her mother.

"Make a wish, Lex."

Lexi took a moment to contemplate her wish, hoping it would be enough to heal her heavy heart. With determination in her eyes, she closed her eyes and blew out the candle, sending a shimmering trail of smoke into the air.

For a brief moment, the garage was enveloped in silence. The air was thick with unspoken emotions, and Lexi wondered if her wish would come true. Charles broke the stillness, his eyes curious and caring. "Did you wish for something good?" he inquired.

He clearly thought she'd wished for something to do with her current predicament. Maybe she'd wished for the blog to leave her alone, or for things to finally die down in the press.

A gentle smile played on Lexi's lips as she shook her head. "Yes," she replied, her voice soft yet resolute. "I wished for you to get a podium today."

Charles seemed taken aback, but a glimmer of delight sparkled in his eyes. The unexpectedness of her wish made his heart swell with unspoken emotions. Of all the things she could have wanted, all the things she could have wished for...

She was thinking of him.

He leaned closer and embraced Lexi warmly, smiling as she buried her head into his shoulder and held him closely. Behind them, Xavi entered, but swiftly left the room again once he was them together, a small smile on his face as he shook his head.

"If I win, mon ange, it'll be for you."

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

The air in the Mercedes garage was charged with excitement as the race was about to begin. Lexi, Tom, and Florence were seated in their usual spots, feeling a mix of nerves and anticipation. Toto, now calm from his earlier outburst, was beaming with joy to have Alexandra back in their midst.