18

After the adrenaline-filled race, Charles and Alexandra found themselves in the comfort of his hotel room, their emotions still running high. As they shared sweet kisses and embraces in bed, Charles mustered up the courage to ask her about attending the drivers' dinner that evening.

"Are you up for the drivers' dinner tonight?" Charles asked, his eyes filled with tenderness as he caressed her cheek. She hesitated, and he quickly assured her, "You don't have to go if you're not comfortable. But, all the boys will be there, and it's a private room. You'd be safe there."

She considered his words, a small smile forming on her lips. "I...I guess so." she finally said, playfully nudging him, before letting her shoulders fall. "I don't know if I'll be able to-,"

"It's okay." he replied, kissing her neck. "If you want to leave, we'll leave."

As they shared another tender kiss, Charles noticed a cloud of uncertainty lingering in her eyes. She was holding something back. Sensing something was bothering her, he gently asked, "Are you okay, Mon Cheri?"

Tears welled up in her eyes as she confessed, "I'm not sure." she said, a tear slipping from her cheek. "Please don't take this the wrong way...I don't think I can be in a relationship right now," she whispered the last part. "I lo...care about you Charles, but with everything going on, I don't think it's fair to drag you through my mess. If we're going to do this, I want to wait until things are right. I want to get better." she sighed. "Because I want a life with you, and I want to start it in the right way." 

His heart sank, but he knew he needed to respect her feelings. "Mon Ange, don't cry," he said softly, wiping away her tears with his thumb. As much as he was silently hurting, he knew it was the right thing. "We'll get you better, first." he smiled. "But, don't think that this means I'm not kissing you-,"

He showered her in kisses, and she laughed. She nodded, grateful for his understanding. "Thank you," she whispered, tears spilling over. "I'm sorry Mon Cher, I really want us to work." she smiled. "I think I'd be lost without you."

"I'm not going anywhere, Alexandra. I'm staying right here. By your side." Alexandra's tear-streaked face softened, and she nodded. She felt grateful for his understanding and the freedom he gave her to navigate her emotions at her own pace.

They held each other close, cherishing the intimacy of the moment. There were no expectations, no demands – just two souls finding solace in each other's presence. The unspoken promise of patience and support hung in the air, and they both knew that whatever came their way, they would face it together.

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Inside the restaurant later that evening, the group of drivers and friends were enjoying the warm atmosphere, indulging in small talk and drinks. It felt as though Lexi had never left, seamlessly fitting back into the camaraderie of the F1 family. Carlos and Lando, true to their mischievous nature, couldn't resist taunting Lexi and Charles about their podium kiss.

"Hey, Charles, will you be kissing us next time you get a podium too?" Carlos teased, raising an eyebrow playfully.

Charles grinned, playing along. "Sure, Carlos, you can have a kiss whenever you want," he replied with a wink, and the two exchanged exaggerated air kisses from across the table, eliciting laughter from everyone.

Amidst the light-hearted banter, Max, who had been observing Lexi closely, noticed her hand shaking as she lifted her glass. He silently inquired if she was okay from his seat opposite her. Tom, sitting beside Charles, noticed this exchange and nudged his friend, drawing Charles' attention to Lexi's discomfort.