35

Later in the day, Lexi, Charles, and Sebastian made their way to Jacob's hospital room

Later in the day, Lexi, Charles, and Sebastian made their way to Jacob's hospital room. As they entered, Jacob's expression showed surprise, but he quickly invited them in. The room felt heavy with unspoken emotions, and they stood there, feeling the weight of the past between them.

After a few moments of awkward silence, Jacob managed to break the tension. He laughed, looking at Sebastian, and said, "Well, I guess I know now that you can throw a punch."

Lexi joined in the laughter, relieved that the ice had been broken. "Yeah, I guess he can," she replied, giving Jacob a faint smile. She couldn't help but ask, "Are you okay?"

Jacob sighed, clearly in pain but trying to downplay it. "Three broken ribs, a fractured cheekbone, and a bruised eye socket, but I'll be okay. I've been through worse."

Sebastian took a moment to apologize, his concern evident. "I'm sorry it came to that. I never wanted it to escalate like that - I just saw red when I thought you'd hurt her...It reminded me of Cami."

Jacob surprised them by defending Sebastian. "Don't apologize, Sebastian. It should be me apologizing. I'm sorry for how I behaved in my younger years, and I'm sorry I was never a good father figure to Lexi and James. I'm incredibly sorry for my violence and alcohol problems, but I can assure you I've been sober for a number of years now, and am seeking help." Jacob paused. "It doesn't excuse the things I've done, but I'd like to think it's a start. Thank you, Seb. You were there for my kids when Cami and I weren't, and I'll always owe you for that."

Sebastian's eyes bore into Jacob's, his resolve unyielding. "I want you to understand, Jacob, that forgiveness isn't something I'm ever going to give you. You've hurt the people I care about and that's not something I can just let go of. Cami, James, and Lexi all deserve better than you."

Jacob's gaze met Sebastian's, and he nodded in acceptance. "I understand, Sebastian. I don't expect you to forgive me, and I can't blame you for feeling that way."

As the weight of their conversation settled, Alexandra broke the tension with a soft sigh. She looked at her father with a mixture of gratitude and vulnerability. "Thank you for telling me the truth about Mum's affair. It's a lot to process, but I needed to know."

Jacob shrugged a hint of regret in his expression. "I always believed you deserved to know the truth, no matter how painful it might be."

The mood shifted as Jacob's warning took center stage. He looked at Alexandra seriously. "Lexi, there are records of both the affair and the abuse in the past. I've done my best to bury it, but with these gossip blogs, there's a chance it might resurface."

Alexandra's facade of toughness wavered for a moment, and her vulnerability showed through. She tried to shrug off the fear, but her trembling voice betrayed her true emotions. "I can handle it."

Sebastian exchanged a knowing glance with Charles, both of them recognizing the fear that Alexandra was trying to hide. But before they could say anything, Alexandra gathered her courage and pressed on.