131

The sterile scent of the hospital hit them as they hurried through the sliding glass doors, the polished floors echoing the urgency in their steps. Charles, Christian, and James, each wearing the heavy weight of worry on their faces, approached the reception desk. The nurse behind it, her expression somber, glanced up at them.

"Please, we need to know about Alexandra Heroux and Max Verstappen," James pleaded, his voice tight with anxiety.

The nurse nodded gravely and gestured for a nearby doctor. A man in blood-stained scrubs emerged from a nearby hallway, his face serious. Christian's heart sank, and Charles felt a cold shiver run down his spine as they exchanged worried glances.

"I'm Dr. Bennett," the doctor said, his voice calm but with an underlying gravity. "Please, follow me."

They walked briskly down the corridor, passing rooms filled with the hum of medical equipment and the occasional hushed conversation. Charles couldn't shake the feeling of foreboding, each step amplifying the tension in the air.

Entering a small, dimly lit room, Dr. Bennett motioned for them to take a seat. The stark silence hung heavy as they settled in, their eyes fixated on the doctor, waiting for the news that could either shatter their world or offer a glimmer of hope.

James took a seat, his hands gripping the edge of the chair, knuckles turning white.

"How are they?" Christian's voice was low, edged with urgency.

Dr. Bennett took a deep breath, his gaze shifting between the three anxious faces. "I won't sugarcoat it. Both Alexandra and Max are in critical condition. They're undergoing surgery as we speak."

Christian's jaw tightened, and James took a deep, steadying breath. Charles, usually composed, felt a surge of helplessness. 

"Max sustained a serious leg injury. We're doing everything we can to save his leg, but it's a delicate situation. Alexandra has an internal bleed. We're addressing it in surgery, but it's a complex procedure. Additionally, both have minor injuries, and they're dealing with burns—Max on his leg, and Alexandra on her right arm and shoulder."

The room fell into a heavy silence. The weight of those words hung in the air, each one a dagger into the hearts of the trio. 

Save his leg. 

Internal bleeding. 

Critical condition. 

The reality of their perilous situation bore down on them.

Charles, his voice trembling, asked, "Will they make it?"

Dr. Bennett hesitated before answering, "We're doing everything we can. It's a challenging situation, but they're in the best hands. Right now, all we can do is wait."

Christian clenched his fists, and James, usually the pillar of strength, looked away, a mixture of anger and despair etched on his face.

The sterile corridors of the hospital seemed endless as Dr. Bennett led Charles, Christian, and James back towards the waiting room. He explained that Lexi's surgery was progressing as expected, and if all went well, she would be out within the next two hours. Max's situation, however, was more precarious, requiring a longer surgical procedure.

"You're welcome to stay in the waiting room," Dr. Bennett offered, his eyes reflecting the weight of the situation.

With a nod of gratitude, the trio followed him back to the waiting room, the nurse at the desk casting them a look of sympathy. The waiting room, usually a space filled with hope, now felt like a purgatory of uncertainty.