130

The world seemed to spin in disorienting chaos as Lexi opened her eyes. The initial shock of awakening upside down in her car sent a wave of fear coursing through her veins. She could feel something warm trickling down her face, and her trembling hand lifted the broken visor of her helmet and encountered the sticky warmth of blood on her forehead.

The immediate surroundings were blurred, and she struggled to make sense of her disoriented state. Dizziness clouded her vision, leaving her grappling with the disconcerting reality of her upside-down world. Panic threatened to engulf her, and she instinctively touched her throbbing head, her fingertips coming away stained with crimson.

In the midst of her confusion, a harrowing image materialized to her left – a haunting specter from her past. Her mother's lifeless body hung in a macabre reflection of the car crash that had shattered their lives years ago. Lexi's scream reverberated through the fractured confines of her consciousness, the anguish of loss and grief piercing through the haze of her disorientation.

"No! Maman!"  she shrieked.

As quickly as the ghostly vision had appeared, it vanished, replaced by the gritty texture of the Spa track's gravel beneath her. The transition between the nightmare and reality left Lexi in a state of bewilderment. 

Where was she? 

What had happened? 

The answers eluded her fractured thoughts, the gap between the horrifying apparition and the tangible reality of the race track stretching into an enigmatic void.

Lexi's breaths came in ragged gasps, each inhale a struggle against the throbbing pain in her head and the searing ache in her ribs. The confined space of the car heightened the sense of claustrophobia, and panic threatened to overtake her fragile grip on the present. Amid the disarray, the disorienting collision of memories and reality continued to blur the line between nightmare and waking life.

Lexi's struggles intensified as she tried to come to grips with the disorienting reality surrounding her. A groan escaped her lips as she surveyed the wreckage, her eyes widening in distress as she discovered the source of the warm, sticky sensation on her right arm – a large, jagged slash marring her skin. The pain intensified, and she winced, grimacing as her tears mingled with the blood streaking down her face.

The agony threatened to overwhelm her, the edges of her vision darkening as she teetered on the precipice of surrendering to unconsciousness once more. The echoes of her past trauma and the raw, visceral pain of the present merged into a disconcerting cacophony.

Just as Lexi felt herself succumbing to the encroaching darkness, a shattered voice pierced through the haze – her brother James, his desperation resonating through the barely audible transmission. "Please, Ally. Please...I can't lose...my baby sister too..Please."

His plea cut through the fog of confusion, injecting a surge of adrenaline into Lexi's veins. With a determined frown, she summoned the courage to act. Unbuckling herself from the twisted remnants of the car became a Herculean effort, her body protesting every movement with searing pain. As she finally freed herself, Lexi collapsed onto the unforgiving gravel beneath the overturned car, gasping for breath.

The weight of the moment pressed down on her, the gravel digging into her palms as she clutched at the ground. The world around her remained a blurry tableau of pain and confusion, but the urgency in James's voice fueled her determination to push through the agony. Lexi's shaky breaths were punctuated by her brother's broken pleas, spurring her on as she fought against the specter of unconsciousness threatening to claim her once more.

Lexi's fight for consciousness intensified, a tightness gripping her head. Amidst the wreckage, she mustered the strength to struggle under the twisted remains of the car, fumbling with her helmet. With a determined effort, she managed to pull it off with her remaining good hand, the helmet clattering to the ground as it slipped out from the wreckage.