48

WARNING: This chapter contains scenes of extreme violence and rape

The next few chapters will be the final pieces of Alexandra's life before meeting Charles - and from there on out I promise it will all be a bit happier and full of love. These next few chapters will explain the WHOLE backstory of Alexandra's life, not just the pieces of her upbringing. While they don't contain Charles, I think they're a necessary part of her storyline, and will explain a lot about her character.

.......

SIX YEARS AGO

The streets of London stretched out before James Jenkins, the city's bustling energy a stark contrast to the turmoil that raged within him. He stumbled, his movements unsteady, his senses dulled by the drugs that coursed through his veins. The once-promising Formula 2 driver had been sidelined by injury, a crushing blow that had left him reeling and vulnerable.

His life had taken a dark turn, a descent into a haze of intoxication and self-destruction. The demons of depression and self-loathing had grown louder, their whispers consuming his thoughts day and night. He believed he didn't deserve happiness, that he was fated to become a reflection of the father he feared and despised.

In his mind, James replayed the memories of his childhood, the moments of his father's abuse, and the torment his mother had inflicted through her manipulation and wickedness. He felt trapped in a cycle of darkness, unable to escape the shadows that seemed to swallow him whole.

His heart ached as he thought about his sister, Alexandra, who had escaped the worst of their shared past. The car accident that had claimed their mother's life had also erased the most painful memories from her mind, giving her a fresh start, a second chance. Meanwhile, James was left with the burden of those memories, the weight of their childhood traumas bearing down on him.

He moved through the city streets like a ghost, his mind a labyrinth of pain and confusion. The vibrations of his phone in his pocket were incessant, a constant reminder of the chaos he had left behind at the nightclub. But he had no intentions of answering. The rift he had caused with his sister and his friend Lewis only added to his self-imposed isolation.

James's descent into his own darkness had been gradual, fueled by a cocktail of despair and substances that offered temporary relief. He knew he was throwing his life away, and he was terrified of the man he was becoming. The thought of becoming like his father, of inheriting his demons, haunted him relentlessly.

He stumbled to a halt in a quiet alley, the weight of his emotions crushing him. He leaned against the cold brick wall, the city's noises fading into the background. The darkness that had taken hold of his life felt inescapable, suffocating. Tears welled in his eyes, a mixture of pain and self-loathing.