82

Alexandra and James sat nervously in a dimly lit office at the Metropolitan Police station in London

Alexandra and James sat nervously in a dimly lit office at the Metropolitan Police station in London. Their lawyer, Thomas, had arranged this meeting, and the tension in the room was palpable. Detective R. Blackwood, a stern and intimidating figure, finally called them in. His initial demeanor was rude and threatening, and he wasted no time in laying out the allegations against them.

"We have evidence that suggests years of domestic violence, drug abuse, bribery, and a slew of other offenses," he stated, his voice cold and unwavering. "All of this could easily land both of you behind bars."

Lexi's heart sank as she realized the gravity of the situation they were in. She exchanged a worried glance with James, but before panic could fully set in, Thomas sprang into action.

"Detective Blackwood," Thomas began, his tone calm but authoritative, "while these allegations are indeed serious, I must remind you that my clients are innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, there are legal defenses and explanations for each of these accusations-,"

Thomas launched into a rapid-fire series of legal arguments, citing case law and statutes that supported Lexi and James's innocence. He explained why the evidence presented was insufficient to warrant prosecution and countered each accusation with well-reasoned arguments.

As Thomas continued to dissect the allegations with surgical precision, Detective Blackwood's initial hostility began to wane. He sighed heavily and took a seat at his desk, realizing that he was dealing with a seasoned lawyer who knew the ins and outs of the legal system.

"Fine," he conceded. "We'll keep you updated on the investigation, but don't think this means you're in the clear. We'll be watching."

Thomas nodded, satisfied with their discussion. Alexandra and James felt a glimmer of hope, knowing that they had a competent lawyer on their side. But then, Detective Blackwood hesitated before admitting, "We do have a lead in the case."

Alexandra's heart skipped a beat, and a surge of anxiety coursed through her. She couldn't help but wonder what this lead might entail and how it could affect their future.

The atmosphere in the small, dimly lit police station in London was tense, as if the room itself held its breath in anticipation. Lexi, James, and Thomas sat in the stark room, their faces etched with a mixture of anxiety and determination.

Detective Blackwood thanked James and Lexi for their cooperation but explained that, so far, their statements hadn't yielded the desired breakthrough. Lexi's distress grew palpable as the weight of the situation pressed upon her.

However, Lexi's world seemed to crumble when Detective Blackwood mentioned a name—the name she had tried so hard to bury deep within her memories.

"Jackson Morgan."

Time seemed to stand still as Lexi froze, her eyes wide with panic, like a deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. Her mind raced, her heart pounded, and the mere mention of that name transported her back to a dark and painful time she had fought to leave behind.